[SOLVED] ISP fiber hand off to copper converter

Feb 17, 2022
Internet provider has installed their service and the hand off to us is a single mode LC connections. Its a direct connection from their network. In essence I would have just plugged the fiber in to a fiberSFP/24 port network switch, a little programming and call it a day. The fiber hand off has to be converted to copper. Am I able to convert the fiber hand off to copper using a single Fiber to copper media converter? I understand protocols/standards may vary depending on type of circuit/provider.

Solution
This is a dedicated 2 strand SMF business circuit If I plug the fiber directly in to a cisco switch/router in the FSP port, I would just configure the IP, sub, Gateway the carrier is providing over the fiber to me in the cisco switch and everything will work fine. Per company IT policy, there needs to be a device between the carrier hand off and the company switch. I was thinking a quick any easy work around would be to convert it to copper handoff.
If this is a corporate connection, and company policy requiremens, the details need to be worked out with your ISP.

Few things are impossible.
But there needs to be coordination from both ends.
Yup that is your problem the protocols are generally not etheret. Almost all providers are using some form of GPON. Even the optics are not standard between vendors. They are only providing a single fiber strand not a pair and it transmits and receives on different color lasers. Many also have another laser to carry the pay tv signals.

Even if you got the correctly GPON hardware there are all kinds of different setting the ISP can use. The ISP is not going to you messing with this stuff. There can be 128 other houses sharing the same physical fiber strand depending on what type of gpon they are using. You could really mess everyone up by hooking up
misconfigured devices.

GPON function very much like a docsis cable modem in many ways. It is not as simple as just a media converter.

Feb 17, 2022
Yup that is your problem the protocols are generally not etheret. Almost all providers are using some form of GPON. Even the optics are not standard between vendors. They are only providing a single fiber strand not a pair and it transmits and receives on different color lasers. Many also have another laser to carry the pay tv signals.

Even if you got the correctly GPON hardware there are all kinds of different setting the ISP can use. The ISP is not going to you messing with this stuff. There can be 128 other houses sharing the same physical fiber strand depending on what type of gpon they are using. You could really mess everyone up by hooking up
misconfigured devices.

GPON function very much like a docsis cable modem in many ways. It is not as simple as just a media converter.

This is a dedicated 2 strand SMF business circuit If I plug the fiber directly in to a cisco switch/router in the FSP port, I would just configure the IP, sub, Gateway the carrier is providing over the fiber to me in the cisco switch and everything will work fine. Per company IT policy, there needs to be a device between the carrier hand off and the company switch. I was thinking a quick any easy work around would be to convert it to copper handoff.

USAFRet

Titan
If this is a corporate connection, and company policy requiremens, the details need to be worked out with your ISP.

Few things are impossible.
But there needs to be coordination from both ends.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You would not typically want a switch (even an L3 switch) as your edge device unless there were firewall(s) behind it.
I guess the question is what is the company policy definition of "a device"? Firewall? Media converter?

TRENDING THREADS