[SOLVED] ISP Hijacking Personal Cable Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2020
Hi All,

So here's my situation. I recently bought a Netgear C7000v2 cable modem to replace the Mediacom cable modem that I was renting from them. I had Mediacom turn the wireless capability off on the modem so I could use my Linksys EA7500 to use a VPN since their cable modem did not have that VPN capability.

When I went to set up my Netgear C7000v2 with my pc plugged into an ethernet port, I typed in the cable modem address (routerlogin.net) and guess what...Mediacom hijacked it and sent it to their Xtreme internet service site to activate my internet service. Essentially I cannot access my own cable modem's dashboard because it's hijacked by mediacom. From what I've researched it's technically called hijacking the DNS (I could be wrong). Also, the wireless capability is still turned off on the cable modem but I cannot access the modem to turn it (I've tried the Genie app as well) on because Mediacom has it locked down. Obviously, I've called them and used a few choice words and they have created a ticket and escalated it and I am waiting on the call from them.

So now I have my Linksys EA 7500 hooked up to the cable modem and have wireless access BUT it's bs that I cannot access my own cable modem. I have a proxy and a vpn. Does anyone know how I can get around Mediacom's theft of my cable modem?

Solution
Since that device is a modem/router you should be able to get into it via the gateway ip.

Connect your pc directly to the modem and see what IP it gives you in the ipconfig /all command. You should be able to key in the gateway IP address. Be sure this is a private IP like 192.168.x.x. If the devices is functioning as a modem only then you will get a public ip which is the ISP router.

It is extremely common for the ISP to "highjack" any modem connected to the network. They are the ones that do all the firmware updates. This is also why only certain brands and models can be activated.

I have never seen one prevent a user from updating stuff like wifi passwords and configuring other common router features. The part...
Jul 23, 2020
Actually, when I'm trying to access the cable modem, I completely disconnect the router (ethernet cable from the cable modem and unplug the router from the power source.)

I then plug an ethernet cable from my laptop into the cable modem to try to access it.

Update: I did change my IP address on my Linksys router and tried to connect to the cable modem through the Netgear Genie app and had no luck. I then unplugged the router, plugged my pc into the cable modem, tried to connect with the Netgear app as well as the web address that Netgear supplies in the cable modem user manual and still no luck.

Last edited:
Since that device is a modem/router you should be able to get into it via the gateway ip.

Connect your pc directly to the modem and see what IP it gives you in the ipconfig /all command. You should be able to key in the gateway IP address. Be sure this is a private IP like 192.168.x.x. If the devices is functioning as a modem only then you will get a public ip which is the ISP router.

It is extremely common for the ISP to "highjack" any modem connected to the network. They are the ones that do all the firmware updates. This is also why only certain brands and models can be activated.

I have never seen one prevent a user from updating stuff like wifi passwords and configuring other common router features. The part that many times works until the first time you connect it to their network is thing like the ability to configure the VoIP ports goes away. Some of these routers also have a update firmware screen that the ISP wants to prevent you from accessing.

It is even more surprising that they would give you no access at all even on a very simple modem. Almost all the ones I have seen give you the ability to display signal levels and look at the error logs.

Solution
Jul 23, 2020
OK...I get what you're saying. Even though I won't be connected to the internet I'll be connected to the modem (local network) and since I'm not connected to the internet Mediacom can't hijack me.

Jul 23, 2020
I guess the next obvious question is...If that works, what settings can I change to block them so I have access to the cable modem while connected to the internet or is that unpossible?

I guess the next obvious question is...If that works, what settings can I change to block them so I have access to the cable modem while connected to the internet or is that unpossible?
You've obviously not understood or have elected to ignore what you've been told. The cable company controls the plant facing side of the modem (the part connected to the cable system). It doesn't matter whether you own the modem or not. There is nothing you can do about this. You only have access to the private side (typically through 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1). The manual that came with the modem will have that information. The initial password is usually on a label afixed to the modem.

Jul 23, 2020
So I finally got it. I unplugged the cable and went in that way. I "attempted" to block the mediacom.info domain but we'll see what happens.

And yes, I understand they own the plant side. However, so does the electric company and it's none of their business if I plug wires in the wall and electrocute $5 hookers for fun (assuming they're into that kind of thing). So while it may be naive, it doesn't mean that I can't fight with them that it is none of their business what I do with the service they provide once it enters my home. Just like it isn't any of the electric company's business with my hookers.

DSzymborski

Titan
So I finally got it. I unplugged the cable and went in that way. I "attempted" to block the mediacom.info domain but we'll see what happens.

And yes, I understand they own the plant side. However, so does the electric company and it's none of their business if I plug wires in the wall and electrocute $5 hookers for fun (assuming they're into that kind of thing). So while it may be naive, it doesn't mean that I can't fight with them that it is none of their business what I do with the service they provide once it enters my home. Just like it isn't any of the electric company's business with my hookers.

You can fight with them all you want, but it's a fight you'll lose; ISPs do have a legal right to do these things. You're paying to use their servers. And some of these things, it's not only their business, but they have a legal requirement for it to be their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.