Question ISP is coming to upgrade the internet of the entire building. What shall I do?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I received a notice that my ISP is coming to upgrade the internet of the entire building to Fibre. Don't know the details about the speed.

Currently the old router/DSL modem they provided is in the dining area. The ethernet ports are 1GbE. The router is connected to the TV. Not sure if they will upgrade the router also.
My computers are in another room.

During the past few months, some of you suggested connecting my computers and NAS (if I end up buying) directly to the router but I mentioned that this could not be done
as family members would complain about running wires across rooms. Perhaps this is the best time to make some changes.

I also want to connect the computers via 10GbE. Do I need to buy a switch?

Given the above, what should I do during this building upgrade? Should I ask the guy to move the router to the computer room or keep its location as is but get one more router?

USAFRet

Titan
You need to do nothing. Just let the ISP do whatever.
If they say you need a new router, then do that.
Otherwise, leave your internal LAN alone.

Later....
The NAS will sit right next to the router. No wires across the room.
Your PCs will continue to connect to the router, exactly as they do now. Wired is preferable, but if WiFi is required for the satisfaction of everyone else, then do that.

"10GbE "
WHY?
This requires not just a new switch, but LAN ports and cabling, on everything.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Hello, I received a notice that my ISP is coming to upgrade the internet of the entire building to Fibre. Don't know the details about the speed.

Currently the old router/DSL modem they provided is in the dining area. The ethernet ports are 1GbE. The router is connected to the TV. Not sure if they will upgrade the router also.
My computers are in another room.

During the past few months, some of you suggested connecting my computers and NAS (if I end up buying) directly to the router but I mentioned that this could not be done
as family members would complain about running wires across rooms. Perhaps this is the best time to make some changes.

I also want to connect the computers via 10GbE. Do I need to buy a switch?

Given the above, what should I do during this building upgrade? Should I ask the guy to move the router to the computer room or keep its location as is but get one more router?
Who is your ISP? When my ISP upgraded my house to fiber the tech and I had a long discussion about the best place to bring the fiber in and place the router. If they give you the option to choose, then sure, have them put it wherever it's most convenient for you.