Question ISP router -> PFSense -> switch

Apr 5, 2023
Hi there
Problem is that my ISP provides provides the modem with wifi/lan
All my hardwired LAN connections goes to an old PC with only PFsence via a switch installed what provides only IP addresses like:
192.168.1.XXX , to the hard wired devices and 192.168.1.1 is the PFsense default login
But the ISP modem takes care of the WiFi addresses like: 10.0.0.235 with a login of 10.0.0.1
so my PC and WiFi divices can't communicate togethere, like sharing files of printing from my iPhone on the LAN network printer.
Any thought and help would be much appreciated.

Buy another cheap router and use it as a AP plugged into the pfsense pc/switch. This will in effect give your pfsense box wifi radios. You will want to disable the the wifi on the ISP router.

Now this assumes you are actually using the pfsence for some purpose and prefer to keep it. Your problem is the standard NAT issue. The wifi devices are on the wan side of the pfsense box and just like any other device on the internet they do not have access to the lan side of your network.

Apr 5, 2023
Buy another cheap router and use it as a AP plugged into the pfsense pc/switch. This will in effect give your pfsense box wifi radios. You will want to disable the the wifi on the ISP router.

Now this assumes you are actually using the pfsence for some purpose and prefer to keep it. Your problem is the standard NAT issue. The wifi devices are on the wan side of the pfsense box and just like any other device on the internet they do not have access to the lan side of your network.
Any recommendations on the Access Point?

Apr 5, 2023

It goes as input to the PFsense box? and I also have to disable WiFi frome the IPS modem, right?
Run ISPmodem as AP - new AP- PFsense - Switch?

Last edited:
You don't need to buy a actual AP. The main feature a AP has is that is can be powered via ethernet so if you could mount it in the ceiling where there is no power outlet.

You really just need a cheaper router and set it to AP mode. Pretty much any router will work it just depends on what wifi radio bands you need. The newest wifi6e ones run 2.4,5 and 6.

The best option is to set the ISP router to bridge mode but some you can not set that way but you would want to disable the wifi radios so your device only have the option to connect to your new wifi radios in the AP.

You would connect the AP to the pfsense box but it depends on how many lan ports it has. Many only have 1 wan port and 1 lan port so you must use a switch to connect multiple devices.

Your connection would go.

------internet---isp modem/router----pfsense box-----switch---ap & all other devices.

Reactions: c3vink

TRENDING THREADS