[SOLVED] ISP router

Nov 30, 2020
My ISP provides us with a Calix Gigacenter. We have Fiber to the home. So far I have been pretty satisfied with the gigacenter. I was wondering though if a router such as Nighthawk or ASUS would be even better. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
With external antennae they may have better range. From what I can find the router is 802.11ac and supports 4x4 MIMO on 5Ghz. Which is quite fast WiFi speeds. You could get an aftermarket router with 802.11ax. Which can be better on new devices which support it. Most device you have probably don't support anything better than 802.11ac and probably just 2x2 or 3x3 MIMO. Making anything faster a moot point.

Unless you are transferring large files over your WiFi between computers. Any website you visit is probably going to be the limiting factor. Not your WiFi. As long as you have a good connection.
With external antennae they may have better range. From what I can find the router is 802.11ac and supports 4x4 MIMO on 5Ghz. Which is quite fast WiFi speeds. You could get an aftermarket router with 802.11ax. Which can be better on new devices which support it. Most device you have probably don't support anything better than 802.11ac and probably just 2x2 or 3x3 MIMO. Making anything faster a moot point.

Unless you are transferring large files over your WiFi between computers. Any website you visit is probably going to be the limiting factor. Not your WiFi. As long as you have a good connection.

Reactions: bill001g
Solution
Nov 30, 2020

Thank you for the info. I just wanted to make sure. I know I have a very good ISP.

If the fiber directly connects to the ISP router you are going to have a massive issue replacing it even if you wanted to. There are very few routers that directly accept fiber and the ISP generally has even a smaller list that they will allow/support.

I guess the good news is most ISP routers use the same WIFI chipset as any other brand. The wifi chipsets are made by companies like broadcom or mediatek so no matter whose name is on the outside of the box they likely use the chips inside. Years ago ISP would use cheaper low power chipsets but the cost difference is extremely small in modern equipment so they many times are using the same exact chips as some of the best known router brands.

TRENDING THREADS