[SOLVED] ISP via patchboard?

Jan 25, 2022
Hi,

My ISP comes into my house via the cellar where I have a female RJ45 port. I currently connect this with a patch cable to my combined modem/router (from my provider) in the Cellar. Nearby in the cellar is a patchboard which has cables going to each room in the house.

i would rather have my router upstairs…. Is there a way to connect the ISP port to one of the patchboard cables so I can then have the model/router upstairs instead? A simple Ethernet cable between the ISP and the board doesn’t work (when I connect the modem/router to the corresponding lab port upstairs…)

I hope it makes sense what I ask. I want to avoid having a really long cable from the ISP going upstairs and to exploit the existing patchboard infrastructure

many thanks for any help in advance

Alan

Solution
You can have both, you can buy a router that has an access point mode. There's a 4 port switch on the router. So you can branch a wall outlet into 3 more ports, plus it gives wifi access.

If you have a game console computer, you can hardwire to ethernet on the access point for the fastest speeds, but also provide wifi to that room as well.

Unless you have faster than gigabit speed fiber internet, either configuration won't really matter. I don't think you'll see any speed difference between using your router upstairs vs using an access point upstairs.

Now if you're doing PC to PC transfers of files, like a NAS. Then moving the router upstairs could cause a loss of internet, if one of those PC's is connected to the router...
So what happens if you plug a lan port into the patch and then plug a pc into the jack upstairs.

In theory it should work but you have to be very sure that the in wall connections are setup for ethernet. It is not uncommon for these to look like ethernet but actually be setup for telephone.

Jan 25, 2022
Thanks for the reply.

If I connect the ISP to the modem/router directly in the cellar via LAN cable and then from that to the patchboard , connecting a pc to the corresponding jack upstairs works fine. I get internet.

what id like to do is connect the isp to the patchboard and then connect the modem/router to that same jack upstairs, and operate from there. This doesn’t seem to work. Maybe there’s an obvious reason…

Jan 25, 2022
Effectively, I want to extend the ISP point (which is a RJ45 in the cellar) via the patchboard to be active upstairs via the corresponding jack… and connect the modem/router up there. An Ethernet cable between the ISP jack and the patch board didn’t work

If you simply want better wifi upstairs, the better option would be to install wifi access point upstairs.

Also, when you say patch board, can you take a picture of it? Is it just a network patch panel, or is there also a network switch there as well? You can connect one of the LAN ports of your router to the network switch to activate all of the ports in the house. Then install an access point in any room in the house you like, that has an outlet.

Jan 25, 2022
Thanks

what you propose makes complete sense and reflects how I have it with an access point upstairs.

The reason I want to change it, and maybe I’m asking the wrong question and someone has a better solution is - via the modem/router directly in the cellar I get wired and Wi-Fi speeds much faster than upstairs (via a switch and the patchboard) through the jacks in each room or via Wi-Fi vs the access point

You can have both, you can buy a router that has an access point mode. There's a 4 port switch on the router. So you can branch a wall outlet into 3 more ports, plus it gives wifi access.

If you have a game console computer, you can hardwire to ethernet on the access point for the fastest speeds, but also provide wifi to that room as well.

Unless you have faster than gigabit speed fiber internet, either configuration won't really matter. I don't think you'll see any speed difference between using your router upstairs vs using an access point upstairs.

Now if you're doing PC to PC transfers of files, like a NAS. Then moving the router upstairs could cause a loss of internet, if one of those PC's is connected to the router. Because that run back to the main switch would be bottlenecked. Ideally, you want the router connected directly to the main network switch to give all rooms equal access to the internet. If 2 rooms are transferring files between each other, then the 3rd room could still have a clear path to the internet withough going through that traffic.

Solution