ISS Crew Gets Go Ahead to Drink Recycled Urine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I totally would. Its also worth noting drinking pee wont really harm you if you have a functional liver. Back when I was in high school, my biology teacher gave one of students who was in jeapordy of failing extra credit for drinking his own pee. He did it of course and said it tasted salty. But getting back to the topic here, we would be drinking water, so I totally would drink it.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
While it might sound completely gross to us, the water is probably cleaner than what we drink on earth. That being said, I’d rather take my chances with Earth water than drink the purified urine of a rat. Really.
lol poor jane. The astronauts are drinking their own recycled urine only. You are the dummy on the ground drinking recycled sewage that the rats have been wading and peeing in. And you do it every day.

What the hell did you think the bill for sewage and waste water runoff was for? Not only are you drinking your own pee but you are actually paying the city to clean your pee and feed it right back to you.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Its technically safer to drink this than faucet water. Despite the cleaning methods of your local treatment plant everyday medications make it through the system. You end up taking your neighbors medication whether you need it or not. Its becoming a real concern as the levels rise in congruence with deformities and other medical conditions.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Greatwalrus[/nom]Bear Grylls drinks his own urine all the time without even treating it![/citation]
Please. Save us from frauds like Grylls.

sgdidache

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Here in Singapore, we've had a national water purification process for some years now. The water from sewers are purified (by reverse osmosis, plus other processes to remove the toxic stuff) and mixed with reservoir water for national consumption. Everyone in Singapore drinks it (ever transited or visited at our Changi Airport?) - yucky to the mind, no difference after a while. So, yeah, all Singaporeans and our esteemed visitors have been drinking it. Bottoms up! (Incidentally, our Cabinet Ministers drank it on national TV to kick off.)

ram1009

Distinguished
I think what most people fail to realize is that every drop of water we all consume has already passed through countless kidneys over the past millions of years. Water does not get created. Every drop of water on earth has been here since the beginning.

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Its technically safer to drink this than faucet water. Despite the cleaning methods of your local treatment plant everyday medications make it through the system. You end up taking your neighbors medication whether you need it or not. Its becoming a real concern as the levels rise in congruence with deformities and other medical conditions.[/citation]

+1

G

all water in the Netherlands has been re-cycled.
and quality wise, our tap water is better than any form of bottled water out there "to taste"...

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]sgdidache[/nom]Here in Singapore, we've had a national water purification process for some years now. The water from sewers are purified (by reverse osmosis, plus other processes to remove the toxic stuff) and mixed with reservoir water for national consumption. Everyone in Singapore drinks it (ever transited or visited at our Changi Airport?) - yucky to the mind, no difference after a while. So, yeah, all Singaporeans and our esteemed visitors have been drinking it. Bottoms up! (Incidentally, our Cabinet Ministers drank it on national TV to kick off.)[/citation]

Saw several documentaries about your system - interesting, and figured that eventually it would sort of drift into the background and just be "normal". :D

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]waffletronic[/nom]Sure. Like fish & bugs and people & bears & ducks & etc... don't pee & poo in rivers and lakes... The EARTH is a closed loop system. It's a REALLY HUGE one, but really, what's the difference?[/citation]

We get our water from the top of the lake, not the mouth of the river. Its clean because it came off rainfall.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]i don't know what everyone's so paranoid about....the water purification, as the article says, is LOT better than any bottled water company uses....if there's such system for home use, i would use it myself....[/citation]

Nicely put.
However, were I live, the tap water is so clean, it puts bottled water to shame. :)
Bottled water is shameful anyways... usually just tap water with a nasty price tag.

G

I read the headline as "IIS Crew", my thoughts were: "Typical Microsoft employee behaviour..."

IIS=Internet Information Services, Microsoft Webserver Stuff.....

MetzMan007

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Well Think about it i say i urinate about what i am guessing at like 2 liters (0.5 gal for us) (also depending on how much boose i have drinken that day cause in one night i would say about 5 liters 1.3 gal) a day that is about 720 liters a years (190 gal) now times that by 35 million for canada 25 200 000 000 liters (6.65713572 × 10-9 US gallons) thats a lot of peeeeeee.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
OMG!!!! Its actually being used! my grandpa developed this system for the "mission to mars", although I'm not sure that this is the exact system...His company got asigned this project and he literaly built the device himself.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
this is way better than any consumer filtration system.
anyways, this is great development. i'm sure this saves a lot of time and money for the space station.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Greatwalrus[/nom]Bear Grylls drinks his own urine all the time without even treating it![/citation]

dude he sucks. Les Stroud is the man!

and ewww!

I know, I know...I understand it's clean but just thinking about that...

ewww!

of course if you were on a deep space mission I am sure there would be a lot more things to worry about than drinking pee-water.

G

Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No! But I do it anyway, cause it's sterile and I like the taste.

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lumpoco[/nom]So do they get to choose who's recycled urine they want to drink or is it all mixed in into a giant keg?[/citation]

I'd imagine they'd mix it together, because the instant one of them chooses to drink someone else's recycled urine, it would offically be the most awkward moment in space history.

Status
Not open for further replies.