[SOLVED] Issue after fresh re-install

Seanayy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
So recently i did a fresh re-install of windows 10, version 1909, and ive run into a slight issue that kinda confuses me. It feels like there is a slight stutter or bit of lag when i move a window around the screen, watch a video with either windows media player or VLC, Youtube or any live stream. Its not HUGE but noticeable and very annoying. I have all the current drivers etc, connections are solid so i have no clue whats causing this. But here is the weird part, any video up to 1080p quality has the stutter/lag but 4k and above is fine, same with video games, no issues with them.Looking for any advice to help sort out the problem.

Currently running i7 7700k, GTX 1080, 16gb ram for those wondering.

Solution
well, having newest Nvidia drivers on a 10 series card could be reason. You could try using slightly older drivers and see if that helps.
I might be thinking of the wrong thing when you mention stutters, but sometimes after a complete re-install, the monitor's refreshrate is sometimes set to 60Hz regardless of the maximum supported refresh rate.

In case you are used to a higher refresh rate (I didn't see it mentioned in your post), when moving things around desktop quickly, or when videos are panning, it can look quite choppy.

This mostly meant as a side note, as I have a feeling I'm looking in the wrong direction. But it is a simple thing to check, and I have overlooked this myself on a few ocations.

I hope you'll finde the correct solution to your problem quickly

Seanayy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
well, having newest Nvidia drivers on a 10 series card could be reason. You could try using slightly older drivers and see if that helps.

It actually installs the nvidia driver previous to the current new one when i select update driver from device manager funny enough but i havent actually let the pc run for long with it so i might give that a whirl again.

When you did the fresh install, are you including the reinstall of all the "motherboard level" items? SATA drivers, Chipset, and so forth?

Updated everything but the BIO's. Im at the point where i might just do another fresh install to see if maybe itll right itself afterwards.

I might be thinking of the wrong thing when you mention stutters, but sometimes after a complete re-install, the monitor's refreshrate is sometimes set to 60Hz regardless of the maximum supported refresh rate.

In case you are used to a higher refresh rate (I didn't see it mentioned in your post), when moving things around desktop quickly, or when videos are panning, it can look quite choppy.

This mostly meant as a side note, as I have a feeling I'm looking in the wrong direction. But it is a simple thing to check, and I have overlooked this myself on a few ocations.

I hope you'll finde the correct solution to your problem quickly

Im currently only using a 60hz monitor as my old 144hz faulted out. (Just my look before this whole quarentine) Monitor is currently on the normal settings it was before the reinstall also.

Quick unrelated question the my problem. Personal for you guys, do you install windows updates first or motherboard drivers etc when doing a reinstall? I usually do drivers etc then windows updates and im leaning towards there been an issue while reinstalling as ive not had this problem before while doing so.
Thanks for the replies nonetheless.

EDIT: Also not sure if this would make any of you think of something but ever since ive reinstalled the windows logo has been showing on boot which i didnt previously. Not sure if that says anything about this reinstall or my previous installs.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have had fresh installs not go "well" and have to redo. Probably worth a try if you aren't too far in.

In my own case I generally try to keep the newest version of 10 on a USB such that it doesn't have to update much, aside from the drivers and things that it will. I typically let Windows do it's thing which is sometimes even an overnight, according to what you are working with. Then, I come back and update things that either got missed by, or are older versions of stuff I would use, if needed.

Seanayy

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
So i reinstalled some chipset drivers, reinstalled nvidia panel, geforce and drivers and let it sit running for a day and it sorted itself out. Funny how windows 10 works aye?... Thanks for all the replies.