Processor i9 10900k
Cooler noctua nh-d15
MB msi Meg z490 ace
GPU MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM
RAM g skill trident z rgb 64gb 2x32 4000
Power supply corsair hx1200i
Case cooler Master h500m
Windows 10 home

Last stable setting for 5.1 ghz was 1.25 volts.

So now that is out of the way. I play around with overclocking occasionally and think I may have damaged the processor.

I had everything stable running 5.3 ghz at 1.37 volts. Temps kept at or under 73 degrees under load. So I got bored and thought I would try 5.4 ghz. I pushed to 1.46 volts and gave up when I couldn't get it to even post.

The problem is now I have backed it down and I am getting crashes. Only during gaming or running prime95 but I never received them prior. I have lowered it down to 5.1 ghz and tried 1.25-1.33 volts and still crashes. Temps are running higher than prior to the overclock attempt. I have also tried turning avx off and still have issues.

I have already done a full reinstall of windows and all software and still the same issue persists. Also tried multiple settings and same issue.

I have not tried reinstalling the processor yet. However I just re-installed the processor the week prior to the overclock attempt.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues simular to this or thoughts on what could be causing the issue? If I need more information please let me know.

The only game I play is cod warzone, and I used msi afterburner, core temp for overclocking and monitoring.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so I have reinstalled the cpu/and cooler, reset cmos and running aida64 on stock settings. I ran it for 2 hours and it reached 81 degrees on 4 of the cores. All other cores were between 74 and 77 degrees. Stressing the cpu, fpu, and cache as directed.

I am guessing at those Temps the cpu is faulty. I also have my side panel removed to assist in keeping temperature down. Any suggestions or ideas?

Running AIDA64 as you have at stock and at those temps is OK.
Now try a small Overclock at say 4.6GHz core voltage 3.5V with turbo boost disabled.

If temps in AIDA64 reach 80C within 10mins then the CPU has diminished and I would recommend an RMA.
PC build

Last stable setting for 5.1 ghz was 1.25 volts.

So now that is out of the way. I play around with overclocking occasionally and think I may have damaged the processor.

I had everything stable running 5.3 ghz at 1.37 volts. Temps kept at or under 73 degrees under load. So I got bored and thought I would try 5.4 ghz. I pushed to 1.46 volts and gave up when I couldn't get it to even post.

The problem is now I have backed it down and I am getting crashes. Only during gaming or running prime95 but I never received them prior. I have lowered it down to 5.1 ghz and tried 1.25-1.33 volts and still crashes. Temps are running higher than prior to the overclock attempt. I have also tried turning avx off and still have issues.

I have already done a full reinstall of windows and all software and still the same issue persists. Also tried multiple settings and same issue.

I have not tried reinstalling the processor yet. However I just re-installed the processor the week prior to the overclock attempt.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues simular to this or thoughts on what could be causing the issue? If I need more information please let me know.

The only game I play is cod warzone, and I used msi afterburner, core temp for overclocking and monitoring.

Overvolting constantly can diminish the CPU however I doubt 1.46V on the core would kill the CPU.
Besides that the Noctua would not cope at 5.4GHz thermal wise.
I would dismount your CPU and reapply your TIM, Clear your CMOS back to default and stress test again at stock using AIDA64 with settings to stress the CPU,FPU and Cache
If your thermals are still high at load and you can't Overclock then RMA the unit,

How were you Overclocking? Within windows or your Bios?

Jan 29, 2021
Overvolting constantly can diminish the CPU however I doubt 1.46V on the core would kill the CPU.
Besides that the Noctua would not cope at 5.4GHz thermal wise.
I would dismount your CPU and reapply your TIM, Clear your CMOS back to default and stress test again at stock using AIDA64 with settings to stress the CPU,FPU and Cache
If your thermals are still high at load and you can't Overclock then RMA the unit,

How were you Overclocking? Within windows or your Bios?

I used BIOS to oc and will try all that this weekend. I didn't think it would cope but thought I would try. I also didn't really think I would damage it that easily.

If I ran it for a period of time maybe but it never even booted. Thanks for the reply and will try that this weekend.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021
Ok so I have reinstalled the cpu/and cooler, reset cmos and running aida64 on stock settings. I ran it for 2 hours and it reached 81 degrees on 4 of the cores. All other cores were between 74 and 77 degrees. Stressing the cpu, fpu, and cache as directed.

I am guessing at those Temps the cpu is faulty. I also have my side panel removed to assist in keeping temperature down. Any suggestions or ideas?

Last edited:

Now try a small Overclock at say 4.6GHz core voltage 3.5V with turbo boost disabled.

If temps in AIDA64 reach 80C within 10mins then the CPU has diminished and I would recommend an RMA.

Solution
Jan 29, 2021

By default i9 10900k runs at 3.7 ghz, up to 5.3 ghz on boost but not with all cores. It backs down if all cores are being used.

It ran at 4.9 the entire time because default has turbo boost on. The default voltage was set to auto and it ran around 1.28 the entire time.

I did try an overclock of 5.1 ghz at 1.33 volts and it hit 90 degrees within 60 seconds. Keep in mind I am still keeping the side panel off my case for additional cooling.

I am just going to see if I can get It swapped out. Thank you so much for all your help and I appreciate your quick response times.