Issue after upgrading CPU

vkreischerg

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
Hi, guys,

I am having the following problem:
A few months ago I upgraded my CPU from an i5 4440 to an i7 4770. I had an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB and, before the upgrade, everything worked flawlessly. However, after upgrading the CPU, my rig started rebooting at random. At first, I thought it could be the PSU (Corsair CX500) , but I tried my cousin's RX380 and it presented no problem; my GPU also worked perfectly on his rig. So, I sold my VGA and bought another GTX 1060 from Gigabyte, but the PC keeps rebooting at random times. The rest of my rig's spec is as follows:
- Motherboard: Asus B85M-E/BR
- RAM: 2 X 8GB Kingston (1600)
- SSD: Kingston a400 240GB

I tried the following suggestions, but none have worked:
- Did a clean install of Windows with the most recent drivers;
- Updated the motherboard's BIOS;
- Reseted the CMOS;
- Tested the RAM modules with MemTest86.

This leads me to think that the problem might be a driver conflict-related issue. What do you guys think? Is there a way to isolate and identify this kind of problem?

It's also worth pointing out that this issue does not happen when I am using Ubuntu 16.04 with the "Noveau display drivers". However, when using NVIDIA proprietary driver, eventually the PC freezes, but I am able to continue moving
the mouse pointer.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.

Solution
I'd first try another known good PSU...although you should have 300 watts to spare, it might not be handling rapid load/current changes required by GPU...