Question Issue connecting ext enclosure to mobo via esata-sata

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
I've got a Fantec DB-F8U3e external enclosure that carries its own power supply, usb3 and esataII ports. I use a 3.5" 7200rpm 1TB WD Black HDD within this Fantec and it's the only HDD I've got so there're both OS and storage in it.

I tried to connect the Fantec to my MSI B450-A PRO motherboard firstly with the usb cable and all went good, I mean the Fantec's blue led switched on as soon as I pushed my PC power on button and then it was recognized in bios environment as a usb peripheral and I could work with it.

Now I've just bought an esata-sata 1m (39,37") 3Gb/s cable to try to connect it to one of the 6 msi sataIII ports, just for experiment. When I switch on my PC the Fantec's led remains switched off and in bios "system status" there's nothing connected to sata ports, nevermind which one of the 6 I choose. Of course I've already try to enable "hot plug" sata parameter in bios but nothing changed. I'm quite sure there're no other sata parameters to set in bios, I mean there's no "eSATA section" or whatsoever just because my mobo has no esata port.

Afaik esata and sata signals are slightly different therefore I don't think my mobo "understands" if there's a sata or an esata port at the other end of the cable. Moreover I've checked the connectivity (Ohm=0) between some pins of sata plug and some pins of esata plug of the brand new cable but I know this isn't enough to be sure it's ok.
My personal idea of the reason of this issue is a sort of "misunderstanding" between sata port and plug generations involved, I mean: hdd goes @ 6Gb/s, cable carries @ 3Gb/s, so is mobo's sata port (6Gb/s) maybe not able to accept cable speed? In the case I could try to use jumpers with WD but they would lower its speed to 1.5Gb/s so I don't know if it's the way out.

Any thoughts about that? If nothing else works then I think my enclosure's esata port is broken.

Last edited:

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
yes, already tried that too. i've just tried to lower hdd speed connecting its 5-6 pins by a jumper but nothing's changed.
i guess there would be something wrong in fantec enclosure else the esata-sata cable is failing. some days ago i joined the official www.fantec-forum.de to ask them if somebody knew anything about this issue or similar ones but i couldn't: i'm still waiting for my "approval" to start posting! i guess that forum is abandoned!

i think the only way to connect this fantec enclosure to a mobo's sata port for sure is to get a cable that converts usb (enclosure) <-> sata (mobo). as i said it's just an experiment because i can still connect this enclosure to mobo's usb.

fastshot

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
fantec has no switch to swap between usb and esata, just a switch for its fan (on/off), but i don't think it can be a problem itself, i mean fantec would "understand" what's connected to which port and exclude the other one i guess.
by the way i want to tell something about that. i did many tests and once i tried to use both cables at the same time, i mean usb3 and esata-sata, and the enclosure ran regularly connected via usb so the esata was ignored. after that a friend of mine said a hardware like this enclosure could get damaged by this test because probably the fantec has 2 chips, one for each port/signal, and they can get "confused" and tilt. anyway esata port didn't work before this test and usb port is still working after that. i'm newbie so i don't know if it's true, what do you think about that?

TRENDING THREADS