[SOLVED] Issue connecting RJ45 to Cat7

Dec 22, 2020
Hi,

I have an issue where terminating a Cat7 cable with an RJ45 doesn't work 99% of the time. I've gotten like 3 out of like 20 attempts and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm doing wrong. If need be, I can create a short video of me putting the connector on.

To make the connection, I'm making sure the wires are as even as possible, they reach the front of the connector, I'm crimping with this. I can't even get any of the 8 wires to connect and fire correctly.

Here is a small gallery with photos and a video of my testing tool. I appreciate all input and advice.

Solution
just looking at the first picture your wiring the plug backwards.

with the releasing latch pointing away from you (like you have in the picture) from left to right it should be

Orange/white
Orange
Green/white
Blue
Blue/white
Green
Brown/white
Brown
More than likely, you are using the wrong ends--also, terminating cat6a and higher is much, much harder than 5/5e and requires a tremendous amount of practice. And even then you'll still get bad ones.

Unless you specifically have a need to terminate your own cabling or to use this high of a cable spec, work with 5e and/or preterminated cable and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Dec 22, 2020
Hi Samir. Thanks for the response. I'm trying to wire my house and I'm using the Cat7 so I'm somewhat future-proofing. I know terminating with RJ45 makes it more like a Cat6, but I can easily swap out for GG45 later on when the price comes down and I actually get Gig+ speed at my house. I have a switch in my basement that I want to run all the cable from the different rooms to so I do need to run custom-lengths.

I'm thinking the crimp tool might be an issue? Maybe it's just not very good and I should get a nicer one?

Gotcha. Makes sense--I too always try to put the best cable I can if it's in the wall. :)

However, you may not be able to crimp using rj45 versus the gs45--did you research this prior to trying it? I know the wire gauges changed after 5e, and hence so did the termination pieces as well. You also will need ends for solid cable versus stranded as they are different.

The tool you got does seem like it is ccc (cheap chinese crap). I would look at a tool that uses 'passthrough' connectors. They are more expensive, but I think they're really the only way to work with cat6a+ since it is a lot tougher to work with than 5e:
https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cab...through-rj45-connector#how-to-terminate-Cat6A

Dec 22, 2020
Yes you can terminate cat7 with shielded RJ45 connectors. I have gotten it to work a few times, but have failed a lot more. I ordered a new crimp tool and hopefully that will make the difference. Cat7 cable ain't cheap so I need this to work so my wife doesn't stab me lol.

Yes you can terminate cat7 with shielded RJ45 connectors. I have gotten it to work a few times, but have failed a lot more. I ordered a new crimp tool and hopefully that will make the difference. Cat7 cable ain't cheap so I need this to work so my wife doesn't stab me lol.
Then I think the tooling and the ends you're using have to be it. I would just get the passthrough system (any of them--lots of people make them now) as it will make your success rate jump into the 90%. Otherwise, you'll be going through a lot of ends (and even more time). And the wife won't appreciate that either. ;)

And a worst case option since you've done the hard and more expensive part of running the cable is to simply hire an experienced datacenter company to terminate the ends. They'll look at you funny and almost suggest that it is not worth their time, but let them quote you anyways and you may find that it's worth it to simply let them handle the termination professionally.

This is why I use PunchDown connectors, so much easier and more reliable. Most patch panel's use punchdown connectors so that should take care of one end. For the other end in each room I use punchdown keystone jacks and wall plates.

Also, those cable testers don't always work well for cables beyond a certain length. I know from experience. Cables over 50 feet wouldn't pass on my tester, but actually worked just fine once connected to the network switch.

Yeah I have considered calling someone to just terminate lol. At this point, running the wire is the easiest part! Hopefully this new tool solves my issues! Thanks for your input!!
I would seriously consider getting an estimate--they have much, much more expensive tools and the expertise to do it faster and cheaper than you can, so it shouldn't be much more than the cost of your time and equipment (and should even be less).

This is why I use PunchDown connectors, so much easier and more reliable. Most patch panel's use punchdown connectors so that should take care of one end. For the other end in each room I use punchdown keystone jacks and wall plates.

Also, those cable testers don't always work well for cables beyond a certain length. I know from experience. Cables over 50 feet wouldn't pass on my tester, but actually worked just fine once connected to the network switch.
That's what most pros do too, but cat6a/cat7 still is more difficult for sure.

Dec 22, 2020

Yeah the punch down keystones work fine. In fact, I use them to verify a given cable isn't damaged and that the keystones are punched in correctly. I'm playing around on like 2' of cable and getting the same result as the 30' run I have in my basement. If I pop keystones on the end of my 2' cable and use purchased cat7 patch cables to test, everything is good. I also went and checked the crimper's work by crimping empty RJ45 connectors and everyone had all 8 blades pushed up. The blades even go all the way to the other side, which means that depth isn't an issue. If I cut off the connector and pull off the jacket and try to pull the individual wires, all 8 won't come out, which means each one has been bitten into. I'm absolutely stumped.

The problem with crimp tools...more the operator of the crimp tool...is that all 8 wires must be against the end of the plug. It needs to make good contact with the wire. Many times the part that holds the insulation will catch the end of the wire but the part the cuts into the insulation to hit the wire misses. This can also be caused by using the wrong type of plugs. The most common one is stranded vs solid cable. I do not know about cat7 cables I have made a few cat6a. Premade cat7 cable I have used is very stiff so maybe the wire is a different size. I guess I kinda ignored cat7 since it provides almost nothing over cat6a and cat6a is much easier to work with.

Dec 22, 2020
Right, I assume I'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what. If you look at the imgur gallery I posted in the OP with the video of the tester, it's not like 1,2,3,5, and 7 are firing, which would mean just a bad couple of pins. NOTHING is connecting. How can I be screwing up that completely?!

just looking at the first picture your wiring the plug backwards.

with the releasing latch pointing away from you (like you have in the picture) from left to right it should be

Orange/white
Orange
Green/white
Blue
Blue/white
Green
Brown/white
Brown

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Dec 22, 2020
@faalin, STFU! Looks my two different connectors set things up a little differently; my other one requires whites toward the pins, this one wants colors towards the pins. I didn't catch that and kept doing the whites against the pins, which reversed it. Once I fixed that, I'm locked and loaded! I can't believe how much time and resources I wasted on such a stupid oversight. Classic, amirite?

If this weren't a time of a highly contagious, deadly pandemic, I would find you and kiss you.

Reactions: SamirD