Question Issue connecting to home network with Surface 2 ?

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
2013 Surface 2 Running Windows RT 8.1 experiencing issues connecting to home WIFI on a Technicolor Docsis 3.1 with onboard Wireless Networking.
Attempting either 5 or 2.4 will be recognized and will allow me to enter password, will then go on to saying Checking Network requirements. Then failing, stating "Can't Connect to this network".

I got this old surface model a while back for free from someone who didn't need it anymore, so I thought I'd try to use it as a remote desktop slave basically. Issue is I cannot connect to my WIFI to even begin trying to attempt that. I attempted to resolve this issue a bit a while ago and attempted a bit of the following, to no avail. Looking to get it working and maybe attempt to learn how to get a remote desktop going on that or something.

- Yes I turned it off and on again
-Date and Time are correct
  • Bypass password by connecting using the buttons on the router itself.
  • MAC address filtering is not on, and I manually added the surface to my router in the control page.
  • not a physical issue, I used my phone as a hotspot and was able to share my WIFI through that. Unfortunately that is not a solution that I can use anymore nor did I really want to use that as a sustained method to allow my surface to get internet.
I have not tested it on any other networks, nor do I know how the device acted for the previous owner.

I feel like there was another thing or two I did but cannot remember, I've considered trying to load a full version of windows or even linux, finding forum posts for that, but doesn't seem like the best idea if I can just get it to work as is for what I want. If there is any suggestions out there let me know, would love to bring new life to this surface.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd first try and look at what version you have for your OS. Since it's a hand me down, if there's nothing critical on it, I'd start by refreshing the OS on the Surface to start clean.

I have not tested it on any other networks
Prior to reinstalling the OS, you might want to see if the same issue holds true on other networks or broadcasts.

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
I'd first try and look at what version you have for your OS. Since it's a hand me down, if there's nothing critical on it, I'd start by refreshing the OS on the Surface to start clean.

I have not tested it on any other networks
Prior to reinstalling the OS, you might want to see if the same issue holds true on other networks or broadcasts.
I have reset and reinstalled the OS on the surface. One of the first things I did after making sure there were no files the previous owner had on there that they wanted.

Brought the thing to my local library and was able to connect to their guest network fine. As I said in the post as well the Surface is able to connect to my phone's network when its acting as a hotspot. I was able to share my home WIFI through my phone with that method.