osamamansoor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
We have an Office on which we have 20 to 25 laptop-based clients. We have 9 Difference vendor access points (TPLINK, LINKSYS, DLINK, CISCO) and have single SSID configured on all AP's.
From the last 10 month, clients are facing slow network issues both on LAN to LAN and LAN to INTERNET ping response is not constant and we faced two to three breakouts when pinging from clients to Server (LAN to LAN).
The response time is between varies times 15ms, 25 ms and some times 45ms to 50ms (LAN to LAN).
We have increased AP quantity to update signal quality but the response time and network distortion did not resolve.
Please suggest.

Solution
Thanks for your reply.
Actually we have some resources issue therefore client devices are legacy devices which only supports 2.4 Ghz so we can not fully switch on 5.Ghz.

No, we don't have done any RF-based survey can you suggest any free tool so i can share the results with you.

I need some help within current AP's and from your answers, i take an impression that i should set channel manually?
Yes, you should set channels manually. With an android phone, I use "WIFI Analyzer" -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US
Yes channels 1, 6, 11 only. Turn DOWN the 2.4Ghz power of the APs You want the nearest AP to have a -40 signal but the rest of them to be at least 10db lower...

kanewolf

Titan
With a hodgepodge of APs, what tools do you use to mange them? Have you done any kind of WIFI survey to see what the RF environment looks like? Nine APs you probably should have 2.4Ghz disabled on some of them to avoid interfering with each other. You should manually set the channel and bandwidth for each of the APs. Don't assume "auto" is the best. Be sure you have 20Mhz bandwidth on 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz on 5Ghz.

Moving to a single hardware vendor so that you have one dashboard to manage all your APs is the long term goal you should set.

osamamansoor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
Actually we have some resources issue therefore client devices are legacy devices which only supports 2.4 Ghz so we can not fully switch on 5.Ghz.

No, we don't have done any RF-based survey can you suggest any free tool so i can share the results with you.

I need some help within current AP's and from your answers, i take an impression that i should set channel manually?

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you should set channels manually. With an android phone, I use "WIFI Analyzer" -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US
Yes channels 1, 6, 11 only. Turn DOWN the 2.4Ghz power of the APs You want the nearest AP to have a -40 signal but the rest of them to be at least 10db lower. You want the 5Ghz signal to be set at higher power than the 2.4Ghz to "help" the 5Ghz compatible devices move to the 5Ghz band. Ultimately it is the clients that determine which radio they will use.

You need to propose to the bosses that your network hardware needs to be standardized so that you can have insight into WHY there are problems. I have Ubiquiti UniFI at home -- https://unifi-network.ui.com/ There is a single dashboard for all switches and APs. You might be able to get by with fewer APs IF you could have insight into WHY you were having problems. You should recommend a managed POE switch with 5 quality APs and a management appliance. Around $1500 would be my guess.

Solution

osamamansoor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2016
I am little confused to only used 1, 6 and 11 channel manually.

I used 5, 7, 9, 11 and 11 for my APs
Yesterday our channels were on auto so we manually select channel "NEW CHANNEL" as mention in the screenshot.

Please review.

kanewolf

Titan
I am little confused to only used 1, 6 and 11 channel manually.

I used 5, 7, 9, 11 and 11 for my APs
Yesterday our channels were on auto so we manually select channel "NEW CHANNEL" as mention in the screenshot.

Please review.
Channels 1,6,11 are the only channels that don't overlap. That is why they are recommended. Channel 9 is interfered with by both channels 6 and 11.