Issue installing W10 with mutliple SSD's connected

• Thread starter Deleted member 1473538
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1473538

I recently tried to make a fresh installation of W10. Two of my SSD's were kept connected. A Samsung Evo 850 and another one which I don't remember the name of. It's a PCIe one though.

The issue I've been facing is that whenever I tried to install W10 on the normal SSD it didn't work. The installation went fine but after restarting it wouldn't show me the option to boot from this disk.

Usually it says something along the lines of 'Windows boot manager' to boot into Windows when installed on the disk but I could either boot from the second, empty SSD or from my W10 installation USB stick.

I tried everything, formating, deleting and making a new drive in the installation process but it only seemed to work with the PCIe SSD. Both show up in the BIOS and the normal SSD worked perfectly fine when I had the system on it previously. Trying different ports didn't work either.

I noticed that the installation was succesful when I deleted both disks and clicked on 'new' for both of them when choosing on what drive to install W10 to. 8 or so partitions were created combined (of which most were like 100 - 500mb big) but due to frustration and time running I just chose the PCIe one to see if it would work. Strangely it did and I could boot to Windows.

(A seriously STRANGE issue I had before all of this is when I tried to add an additional SSD to my system it booted to a really old version of my Windows 10 after connecting it, like I went back a year in time. I had my old desktop with all of the old apps, settings and files while the new ones were not to be seen. After that I started to try to reinstall Windows.)

What am I missing here? Do I really need to delete both SSD's and make new partitions for BOTH of them in the installation process in order to get anything working? Doing it just for one and leaving the other one unassigned doesn't seem to work.

Solution
The somewhat fail safe method of doing this is to disconnect all drives but the one you like to install Windows on. After installation has finished then shut down and connect the other drives and remove the USB stick.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
first make sure you've set boot options up your BIOS to the drive you intend to use. Also, if there is already a fully functional Windows installed on one of the other drives, that drive has already been set to the active drive and will be the "base" for any following installs. This to enable multi-boot options. The problem is, that older install might not be compatible with what you're installing now so you would end up in a situation where the old one looses its active boot setting and the new install (or BIOS) assumes the old one is supposed to start it all off, leaving you with a computer that won't do anything at boot. :)
If you don't intend to keep the old installs and their data, wipe those disks completely (or disconnect them during install).

D

Deleted member 1473538

Worked perfectly. Thank you all for suggesting this procedure!