Issue Installing Windows 7 on Custom PC Build

tylerdrums7

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
Hello,

I hope that someone can assist with my issue, as I have not been able to solve it on my own. First off, if I am being honest, my computer skills are okay. Not bad, but just okay. So if you reply, please try and explain things as simply as possible, as I am still learning a ton.

I am doing my first PC build, and I was able to get everything working great. I was able to start up my computer and get to the BIOS. Once I got there, it was time to install Windows 7 (not a fan of Windows 8 or 10 honestly) and that's where I ran into my issue.

I decided to install Windows 7 via USB flash drive. I installed Windows 7 on a usb flash drive from my Mac using Boot Camp Assist. I put in the proper Windows 7 ISO disc file on it, and it took about 25-30 minutes to finish. Once I was done with that, I put the USB drive into my build, and set the BIOS to boot from that USB and not my hard drive. I restarted and expected the install to begin. However, all I got was a "." on the screen and the screen kept flashing between a dark and lighter black screen. It did this for nearly 5 minutes before I just turned it off.

At this point, I am stuck. Any help would be great, and my build is below. Again, I am not the most tech savy person, and this build is just something simple I wanted to try for my first build. If I can get this issue solved, I may build another machine for 4k video editing after the holidays.

MSI Pro Series Intel B250 Motherboard (B250M PRO-VD)
Intel Core i3-7100 7th Gen 3.90 GHz
Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB DDR4 RAM
EVGA 450W Bronze Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5
SanDisk SSD 120 GB Storage (also I have another HHD that I am planning on RAID 0)

Thank you for your help in advance!

Solution
When I install our build (win7 preinstalled with software etc) on the new DELL-PC's, I have 4 steps before I can do the installation:
- turn off secure boot,
- (intregrated NIC) enable UEFI network stack and enable w/PXE (as we install trough our network)
- enable legacy Option ROMs
- change RAID to AHCI

that allows us to install... I don't know if that could help you !

Let us know:
cheers, Louise...

Louise Porkolt

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
hi there,

you should be able to BOOT from USB but did you turn on USB-boot in the BIOS ???

(at boot you should press a key to go in the BIOS, be carefull what you do in there, as it can go wrong to worse !)

There should be an option to boot from USB ! turn it on and try again to run your Installation !

Let us know,
Cheers, Louise...

tylerdrums7

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

Hey Louise,

First off, thank you for your reply and help. I did however, change in the BIOS to boot from my USB and not the hard drive. That is where I ran into the issue once I restarted my computer to boot from the USB.

Thanks!

tylerdrums7

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017

It is setup for UEFI boot, if I am not mistaken. Sorry, I am at work and not home. I wasn't expecting such a quick response from people lol... thanks!

Louise Porkolt

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2014
When I install our build (win7 preinstalled with software etc) on the new DELL-PC's, I have 4 steps before I can do the installation:
- turn off secure boot,
- (intregrated NIC) enable UEFI network stack and enable w/PXE (as we install trough our network)
- enable legacy Option ROMs
- change RAID to AHCI

that allows us to install... I don't know if that could help you !

Let us know:
cheers, Louise...

Solution