Issue installing Windows 7 Pro on an older laptop via flash drive

Napking

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I've got a flash drive which I routinely use to install Windows. In fact, I just used it this morning to install Windows on a desktop computer with no issues whatsoever. I've just put a new SSD in an older laptop of mine, but when I go to install Windows, I get a message saying

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

The laptop is a Samsung NP-QX411. It has to be an issue on the laptop, I believe, as I'm able to use the flash drive successfully elsewhere.

The solutions I've tried are as follows:
-In the BIOS, disable UEFI boot.
-In the BIOS, turn off USB3 support (there wasn't an option for this. The laptop doesn't have any USB3 ports.)
-After the error message shows up, click Cancel, return to the Welcome screen, remove the flash drive, and plug it into another port.

Thanks so much for the help!

Solution
This could be hardware, but I'd get ahold of a USB CD/DVD drive and try installing from a disc. These drives are not expensive.

Good luck.

Napking

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I have one, actually, and the laptop has an optical drive anyway. I don't really have a CD laying around for Windows, and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible; I'd have to make a trip to the office supply store to pick up some DVDs. If that's what the solution is, then so be it, but I'd like to see if anyone has another solution first.

Thanks for your input!

Napking

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Forgive me, I should have been more clear. The message comes up after I've booted to the Windows 7 setup and I've clicked "Install Now".
I used Rufus to make the flash drive from an ISO.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
having installed windows more times than i can count,i can say that sometimes a pc/laptop just does not like a usb drive you are trying to boot form. i have a handful of usb drives i install windows from and they are used almost daily on many different systems. all of a sudden a pc will show up that won't boot from my drive that i know works. no reason really, it just happens.

only thing that fixes it is to change usb drives. preferably to a different brand one. create that usb drive with rufus and it'll work no problem. no idea why this happens but sometimes it just does.

so that's my advice, try this on a different usb drive, preferably a different brand if possible. you probably have a spare one sitting around that can be used real quick :)

Napking

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Looks like I haven't got anything of the right size. I leave all of my good flash drives at work, haha. Thanks for your input. Sounds like I'll be making a trip to the office supply store. I really should have a Windows 7 DVD anyway.