[SOLVED] Issue: Motherboard M.2 slot shares bandwidth with a SATA port

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi.
So I am using PCPartspicker and based on the choice of motherboard (MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus ATX) and SSD (2TB M.2 2280 SSD), I get the following compatibility issue message:

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port

My question about this is:

Does this mean that the interface speed of the SSD will be decreased since it is going to share a bandwidth with a SATA port (So instead of for example 16GB/s over PCIe, it will be reduced to 6.0 GB/s)?

If the above makes sense and is true, then why bother getting an M.2 stick and not just go for a SATA SSD?

Thank you.

Solution
It means it disables a SATA port when you use the M.2 slot. It will show you which one in the motherboard manual.

Some M.2 slots use PCIe lanes, some use SATA. It depends from motherboard to motherboard which lanes are used for M.2 bandwith.

it doesn't reduce speed of the m.2, just reduces number of ssd/hdd you can use on sata.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It means it disables a SATA port when you use the M.2 slot. It will show you which one in the motherboard manual.

Some M.2 slots use PCIe lanes, some use SATA. It depends from motherboard to motherboard which lanes are used for M.2 bandwith.

it doesn't reduce speed of the m.2, just reduces number of ssd/hdd you can use on sata.

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Thank you. I thought that since it “uses” the SATA lane, it’s speed will be reduced. If I understand you then, I will still get the same speed from my SSD. Just one of the SATA ports will be unusable. Correct?