Question Issue on replacing old 128gb SSD with new 1tb SSD (for gaming, not OS)

Apr 1, 2019
Hello, I am new to this so excuse any mindless mistakes I make, I tried my best through guides I found on the internet but sadly, unsuccessfully. Here goes. I got the Samsung Evo 1tb because I wanted to replace my Kingston V300 120gb mainly for gaming. My motherboard is Asus B85M-E (yes, I know, it's old) but I believe the connectivity isn't an issue because the disk is shown on BIOS and in Windows. Firstly, the problem occurred when I swapped the two disks. When I rebooted the PC, I always end up in BIOS and can't move past that. This SSD is not for the OS, I use another SSD for that. I tried setting the disk as default in booting menu of BIOS but I still got the BIOS screen. But when I changed the disks again, I noticed that it would boot normally with my old SSD. Then I tried swapping disks while the PC was active (I saw that somewhere and I saw it as a last resort because I couldn't get past the BIOS screen before) and it recognized the new disk as an unallocated disk and I allocated it successfully. Well, when I rebooted the system, guess what, it still brought me to the BIOS screen. I am stuck here with no clue on what to do.

The key here is to have only one drive attached when installing windows because, as in your situation, windows is likely to spread the install files between two drives, here that apparently is the OS drive and the Kingston.If I'm correct about that although there are other ways to try to fix the issue, I suggest a reinstall of windows with only the OS drive attached . You can back up all your personal data first and make sure you get the latest install media from the w10 site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Reactions: Alexis_Michalo
Apr 1, 2019
The key here is to have only one drive attached when installing windows because, as in your situation, windows is likely to spread the install files between two drives, here that apparently is the OS drive and the Kingston.If I'm correct about that although there are other ways to try to fix the issue, I suggest a reinstall of windows with only the OS drive attached . You can back up all your personal data first and make sure you get the latest install media from the w10 site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
I never thought that OS spreading in two different drives was possible, it may be that as I don't remember if I used only one drive when I installed Windows. Other drives shouldn't be wiped right? I have a lot of stuff in my HDD and don't want to lose them. If I do this correctly with my new SSD when I connect the other drives, they will be instantly available?

popatim

Titan
Yes, That's been an issue since the days of widows 7

You can use EasyBCD to move the boot bl;ock to the SSD that is supposed to be the boot drive. LoL
Navigate to the Backup & Repair section and select Change boot Drive. Please be sure to select the correct drive.

Then you should be good to swap out the other drive.

Reactions: Alexis_Michalo