Issue on startup I've never experienced.

StrayPredator

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Greetings! This is actually my first time posting on any forum ever for any type of PC help, I usually can figure it out via google and troubleshooting it myself. I pre-apologize for any formatting issues or scattered data, I am so sorry but I really am not sure where to go with this.

First up:
Specs:
OS: Windows 10 home 64 bit (I previously had windows 7)
Mobo: Sabertooth Z97 Mark S LGA 1150
CPU: i7 4790k @ 4ghz
CPU Cooler: H110i GTX (listing this because it is hooked up to the motherboard)
GPU: GTX 980ti MSI
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w
CD Drive: ASUS DVD-Writer Black SATA
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 gb 2x8gb 240 pin ddr3 @ 1866
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 1tb

Before I go into it, this same exact error has occurred on both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit. (for all intensive purposes any troubleshooting that I have done has been on Windows 10)

The root of the problem is this: On bootup, after being shut down for a while (longer than a couple of minutes) the PC will start up fine, but BSOD with 2 errors popping up on different times:

" :( Your PC Ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. "

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is shown along the bottom on some boots, while MEMORY_MANAGEMENT is shown on other boots.

The confusing part is that the PC will then boot up with no issues, load any games that I am playing, run the internet, do just about anything I want it to do with no issues.

I've tried to recreate the issue, in which I will completely shutdown the PC, flush out the power and attempt a reboot, but it will then boot up fine..

I leave for work, come home that night and boot it up.. SAME. ISSUE. I don't understand it.

I've looked up both of these codes and a lot of sites and forums point to faulty RAM, DIMM slots or conflicting drivers, I've ran Memtest86 (8 passes no errors), reseated the RAM, tried different DIMM slots.

The last thing I've noticed is it seems to take my computer approx 2 minutes to shutdown, with hardly anything running in the background. Including this information if it could possibly mean something.

If anyone would like to speak to me more about this please feel free to contact me, if it is easier we can talk through email, skype.. anything that will make it easier.

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015
First of all, welcome to Tom's Hardware (and PC forums in all)!

As a troubleshooting step, could you work through this checklist please: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

It's made by the Moderators here and covers most bases so it's important to carry out every step.

Also, could you follow these steps please:
1. Press "Windows + R" at the same time
2. Enter "control wuaucpl.cpl" (without speech marks) followed by enter
3. Select "Scan for Updates"
4. Install all updates including optional ones

5. Restart your PC into the normal desktop

6. Restart your PC into Safe Mode

7. Press "Windows + X" at the same time
8. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)
11. Enter "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) into Command Prompt followed by enter
12. Let the scan complete

Let me know how this goes.

StrayPredator

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

The bottom scan for sfc /scannow came up as "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

"control wuaucpl.cpl" brought nothing up, nothing loaded or anything.

I will begin working through the checklist now.

Finished with it, everything has been verified. I also tested my RAM using Prime95 and Memtest86 with no issues running at 24 hours each. Temps were good and everything.

I'm about 95% positive it's a driver issue at this point because I've been troubleshooting for about a week now and I've done just about everything I can think of hardware wise.

TRENDING THREADS