[SOLVED] Issue regarding choppy / sluggish feel in games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Here are my specs :

𝐂𝐏𝐔 : 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟕 𝟐𝟕𝟎𝟎𝐱 (𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐫𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑 𝟐𝟐𝟎𝟎𝐠)

𝐑𝐀𝐌 : 𝐂𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐕𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐃𝐑𝟒 𝟐𝟒𝟎𝟎𝐌𝐡𝐳

𝐆𝐏𝐔 (𝐆𝐓𝐗 𝟏𝟎𝟔𝟎 𝟔𝐆𝐁, 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞)

𝐏𝐒𝐔 (𝐓𝐗𝟓𝟓𝟎𝐌 𝐆𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐗𝐓 𝟕𝟓𝟎𝐰)

𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 (𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐁𝟒𝟓𝟎-𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝟑𝟓𝟎-𝐩𝐥𝐮𝐬)

So i've got a huge problem i need your help with, for 4 months my computer has been in the wreck causing a 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐲, 𝐬𝐥𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥, via every single game it also occurs via windows, putting a video in fullscreen on my opposite monitor makes it more noticeable, whereas it gets more 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐮𝐢𝐝, it mostly appears in games though,

Originally my computer wouldn't boot into my SSD and i tried to repair it but had to reinstall my windows then the issue instantly popped up via games & i noticed it on windows a while later, i tested via using a spare motherboard with 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐫𝐚𝐦, but same 𝗚𝗣𝗨, 𝗣𝗦𝗨, 𝗛𝗗𝗗/𝗦𝗦𝗗, 𝗰𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲𝘀, issue occured the same, then i tried looking at settings, limiting fps, trying out vsync but no matter what i did it stayed the same on every single setting.

A week later my PSU failed, i replaced it a couple weeks later and the issue occured still, i started thinking that my power supply damaged parts of my computer, couple weeks later i got a new motherboard and same issue occured, so it lead me to believe it was the GPU and/or CPU, so a week ago i replaced the parts and same issue occurs, just lesser extent and less choppy, but still there.

Here is a list of what i've tried,

𝟏 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟐 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟑 - 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐏𝐔 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟒 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐬𝐝 / 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 / 𝐬𝐬𝐝

𝟓 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟕 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟎, 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

𝟔 : 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝 + 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟕 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫, 𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐩𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 + 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫

𝟖 : 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬, 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞, 𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐃𝐔 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐩𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟗 : 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑'𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐠𝐚 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐩𝐮, 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞 𝐨𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞.

𝟏𝟎 : 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 (𝐧𝐨𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬)

𝟏𝟏 : 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 (𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐢 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞)

None of what i did worked else i wouldn't be here, after thorough testing it lead me to the conclusion of the cpu & gpu being the issue, considering they both have the same issue across multiple boards, and gpu has same issue on different mobo with different cpu & ram, so i replaced them and same issue occurs still, leaving only three things, 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐏𝐒𝐔 & 𝐑𝐀𝐌, used my spare board that may have been damaged by my psu (this one's old and has no over / under voltage protection) with a stick of DDR3 ram that hadn't been touched by the psu, same issue occurs, leading me to believe ram is crossed out but i could be wrong.

I've asked around alot trying to see if each individual part could cause this, most people said gpu and/or cpu, my theory is that when my old power supply damaged my motherboard i'm currently using, it damaged the new parts i put it into, therefore same issue, however it's just a theory and not a very good one considering this is what im up against,

𝐂𝐏𝐔, 𝐆𝐏𝐔, 𝐑𝐀𝐌 & 𝐇𝐃𝐃/𝐒𝐒𝐃 went through extensive testing of 4 hours on burnintest, 0 errors occured, + benchmarks like UNIGINE heaven & UNIGINE valley DO NOT have the issue, neither does 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 / 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧, only via games / windows, also the GPU, CPU & motherboard have no visual damage, no bent pins on cpu, can't really see the inside of the gpu, but it looks fine & motherboard has no leaking capacitors, all of them also have no bad symptoms whatsoever.

Nothing i've tried has worked & i'm left with my computer parts damaging eachother or my 𝐩𝐬𝐮 / 𝐫𝐚𝐦 / 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 being broken, i can't figure this out for the life of me and i'm going insane, i've got no idea if it's normal for your game feel to shift between fluid to sluggish / slow but based on my previous experience of years in gaming, it dosen't feel normal, also with my old parts (top of the page) the issue i've described never happened before my ssd failed.

My FPS stays consistent during the transition from fluid to sluggish and slow, temperatures are a solid 60c / 70c on 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐠𝐩𝐮, cpu dosen't hit 100% most the time and same with gpu, unless under very high settings in which it needs to push itself, same with cpu,

I have tested my PSU's voltages with a multimeter and done the fan spin test, the voltages are within the 5% tolerance range (2-3% for all of them last i checked), also they are currently around the same volts i checked two days ago on HWInfo.

few obvious things people have already asked me but i'll stop y'all from asking if you are going to,

• No i do not have vsync on
  • No it's not because my ram speed is slow and ryzen depends on higher ram speed, as i said this never happened before my ssd failed and i had the exact same ram speed.
  • Most the people i've shown videos to do not see the issue, but a few do, i'm guessing it's one of those things people don't notice too much, unless you're a gamer like me.
c
Here are a few video examples, most are fortnite but it is clearly visible, on my phone and my computer, atleast to me, and no i'm not insane, i cannot see the issue on other people's computers or youtube / streams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjcOI0uPzM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxa-uWKxKM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGhpGXkAT8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzgQsge0Jk

That's all i've done and tested, now please help me, i'm very desperate, thanks.

PS : Sorry for all the reading, but i had to explain everything for y'all to understand.

Last edited:
Solution
Great so now i see half areas being slower and less fluid cause its 60hz, can i go backwards in time and not see it?

just fantastic nothing is broken after all i think..

the frametimes however do they look at all normal is something wrong with mine?

Well they look normal for someone running on a 60hz office monitor without synching

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Don't believe everything you read on Reddit.

Also you play Minecraft and other CPU bound games.

Not minecraft, ok say i do get a performance benefit from higher mhz which i probably will, price wise it isn't worth it and most the ram is sold out, over in america which i'd love to be ram is around $100 which is great but not here, that kit i sent you is the cheapest i could find for 3000mhz 8gb.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Not minecraft, ok say i do get a performance benefit from higher mhz which i probably will, price wise it isn't worth it and most the ram is sold out, over in america which i'd love to be ram is around $100 which is great but not here, that kit i sent you is the cheapest i could find for 3000mhz 8gb.

From what I can tell the ram you picked out should work fine. I can't promise anything but it will do the job. Looks like the same SK Hynix chips as is my Corsair Vengeance kit.

Reactions: darknightbacca1

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well a QVL list is just a list of ram that has been tested so it should "probably" not have thousands of issues, i'd love to get this one https://www.umart.com.au/G-Skill-TRIDENT-Z-8GB-KIT-2X4GB-F4-3200C16D-8GTZB-DDR4-3000MHZ_36825G.html however $39 more, may be more reliable but ram is ram i'm sure the evo potenza ram should be ok

Right considering your issues though tested = safe bet. However I wouldn't call any current ram really "unreliable" its more about performance and compatibility. I think it will probably work fine.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
It does a bit. But TBH I trust the Geil memory brand more. Also the better timings may negate that difference, and its $15 cheaper. As long as you're at or over 3000 you're good.

Here is the frametime on my spare ddr3 motherboard with a stick of ram that wasn't damaged by my old psu, two possibilities, ram slots on the motherboard are broken or all of my ram is not broken

https://gyazo.com/762706885b0b52b6f0fd7d72448e7256

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Interesting but still different processor etc.

I'm honestly curious, my spare ddr3 motherboard is alot less worse then my current one because it's got a different stick of ram in it, since i've been dealing with this for so long either it's normal for areas to feel slightly different via more to render compared to less or something else in my pc is bad which is super unlikely

Could you please tell me which components can actually cause bad frametimes?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm honestly curious, my spare ddr3 motherboard is alot less worse then my current one because it's got a different stick of ram in it, since i've been dealing with this for so long either it's normal for areas to feel slightly different via more to render compared to less or something else in my pc is bad which is super unlikely

Could you please tell me which components can actually cause bad frametimes?

Bad frametimes can be caused by many things. Most commonly would be a CPU that can't keep up with the GPU. Next would be insufficient VRAM in the GPU. After that would be weak memory/bad memory/too little memory. Could also be caused by a slow drive (not getting the data into VRAM fast enough).

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Bad frametimes can be caused by many things. Most commonly would be a CPU that can't keep up with the GPU. Next would be insufficient VRAM in the GPU. After that would be weak memory/bad memory/too little memory. Could also be caused by a slow drive (not getting the data into VRAM fast enough).

Got the ram, hooked it up to my new motherboard i had beforehand, same issue occurs, also tested frametimes, they are near the same as with my old ram

My ram is set to 3000 mhz and i think its stable

this is the graph from walking / running around in mineraft https://gyazo.com/b7ee512d7ff17bf034494c039f772e89

this is from standing still for 3-4 minutes https://gyazo.com/250632786c4e3295696895c7eef9bb62

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Got the ram, hooked it up to my new motherboard i had beforehand, same issue occurs, also tested frametimes, they are near the same as with my old ram

My ram is set to 3000 mhz and i think its stable

this is the graph from walking / running around in mineraft https://gyazo.com/b7ee512d7ff17bf034494c039f772e89

this is from standing still for 3-4 minutes https://gyazo.com/250632786c4e3295696895c7eef9bb62

Those frametimes look significantly better to me than the last ones you posted. You only have very occasional spikes (which can happen on any hardware), where the last time you had continuous spikes.

I mean at this point hardware wise you've changed everything. I'm out of ideas. Have you tried a high refresh rate monitor? Thats literally the only other thing it could be, but based on the fact you said it didn't do this, and now it does, that doesn't help.

From what I can tell based on that graph you no longer have an issue, but if you still see it.... I just don't know.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Those frametimes look significantly better to me than the last ones you posted. You only have very occasional spikes (which can happen on any hardware), where the last time you had continuous spikes.

I mean at this point hardware wise you've changed everything. I'm out of ideas. Have you tried a high refresh rate monitor? Thats literally the only other thing it could be, but based on the fact you said it didn't do this, and now it does, that doesn't help.

From what I can tell based on that graph you no longer have an issue, but if you still see it.... I just don't know.

If you're saying that the graph looks normal, then the issue is gone, obviously i still see the issue as in "areas feel a little different" but that's entirely normal i think, the BIGGEST issue beforehand was 100% choppy and sluggish framerates.

fyi i have not changed everything, still same PSU

do you think at all that the psu could cause frametime issues, or different feel in game issues? if not then the issues are gone

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you're saying that the graph looks normal, then the issue is gone, obviously i still see the issue as in "areas feel a little different" but that's entirely normal i think, the BIGGEST issue beforehand was 100% choppy and sluggish framerates.

fyi i have not changed everything, still same PSU

do you think at all that the psu could cause frametime issues, or different feel in game issues? if not then the issues are gone

I just don't see that as possible. PSUs are pretty binary, if something was wrong with it you'd have a very clear problem (crashing, rebooting, smoke, fire, etc).

The Graph looks correct to me when you're walking around, if you want to test a couple more games (walking around or playing, standing around is useless data) and share please do, but looks fine to me.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I just don't see that as possible. PSUs are pretty binary, if something was wrong with it you'd have a very clear problem (crashing, rebooting, smoke, fire, etc).

The Graph looks correct to me when you're walking around, if you want to test a couple more games (walking around or playing, standing around is useless data) and share please do, but looks fine to me.

This is me running around and looking at the laggy area

https://gyazo.com/dda838cb3f7b4c43afeefaffa38c0a7c

It's become more choppy now, 100% not normal

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Yes I see frametime issues now again.

I really don't know whats causing this, you've replaced everything that could cause it.

Test a higher rate monitor, test a new PSU. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Something is very wrong here, are you serious 100% sure that nothing is damaging anything cause at this point it could be, and are you sure that a PSU CANNOT IN THEORY CAUSE THIS?

Also can windows cause bad frametimes?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Something is very wrong here, are you serious 100% sure that nothing is damaging anything cause at this point it could be, and are you sure that a PSU CANNOT IN THEORY CAUSE THIS?

Also can windows cause bad frametimes?
100% sure

The PSU cannot do that. I guess It could, if you went in and like rewired it to make the voltages really high, but that would fry your system sooner than later. But my point is, short of ourtight sabotage, no its not possible.

And yes Windows can, but we went over what can cause it and you said you disabled Windows Game Bar and DVR.

A bad driver can do it too, but we went over that and you said you tried current and older drivers.

You do have MSI Afterburner with RivaTuner, try capping your framerate at 60fps maybe that will help. (I'm literally spitballing here).

In Nvidia Control panel make sure FastSync is on.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
100% sure

The PSU cannot do that. I guess It could, if you went in and like rewired it to make the voltages really high, but that would fry your system sooner than later. But my point is, short of ourtight sabotage, no its not possible.

And yes Windows can, but we went over what can cause it and you said you disabled Windows Game Bar and DVR.

A bad driver can do it too, but we went over that and you said you tried current and older drivers.

You do have MSI Afterburner with RivaTuner, try capping your framerate at 60fps maybe that will help. (I'm literally spitballing here).

In Nvidia Control panel make sure FastSync is on.

Well if nothing is damaged, then maybe its settings or software related, might do a reinstall of windows, test out windows 7 to see if it changes anything

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I doubt Win 7 will help you.

Did you try the last couple things I mentioned?

reinstalled drivers, did nothing and as for fastsync it won't help me

It's extremely simple i NEVER had this issue before my psu failed, even on the same windows and the same settings i'm on now

It just dosent make sense, none of it makes any sense at all

Any fps, any vsync of any kind has the issue, and i've noticed something the issue jumps from bad to barely noticeable from game to game, and it's all because of rendering, the more that has to render onto a game like buildings, landscape, bigger the map the worse it gets

it's all over the place and not consistent at all.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
100% agree. I just don't know.

Why won't fastsync help? have you tried it?

You said reinstalled drivers but did you use DDU to remove, and did you try various older drivers?

I always use DDU to uninstall, also fastsync wont work because if nothing is damaged then without any type of sync it should be fluid

for some reason in every game half my areas are sluggish, slow and choppy when in open areas that need to render alot

other side fluid and smooth as it should be

last i checked a high end pc like mine should be ultra fluid on every game and not anywhere close to this

So if nothing is damaging anything, then something else is broken just gotta figure out what it is

(also used older drivers before)