[SOLVED] Issue regarding choppy / sluggish feel in games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Here are my specs :

𝐂𝐏𝐔 : 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟕 𝟐𝟕𝟎𝟎𝐱 (𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐫𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑 𝟐𝟐𝟎𝟎𝐠)

𝐑𝐀𝐌 : 𝐂𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐕𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐃𝐑𝟒 𝟐𝟒𝟎𝟎𝐌𝐡𝐳

𝐆𝐏𝐔 (𝐆𝐓𝐗 𝟏𝟎𝟔𝟎 𝟔𝐆𝐁, 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞)

𝐏𝐒𝐔 (𝐓𝐗𝟓𝟓𝟎𝐌 𝐆𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐗𝐓 𝟕𝟓𝟎𝐰)

𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 (𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐁𝟒𝟓𝟎-𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐀𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝟑𝟓𝟎-𝐩𝐥𝐮𝐬)

So i've got a huge problem i need your help with, for 4 months my computer has been in the wreck causing a 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐲, 𝐬𝐥𝐮𝐠𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥, via every single game it also occurs via windows, putting a video in fullscreen on my opposite monitor makes it more noticeable, whereas it gets more 𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐥𝐮𝐢𝐝, it mostly appears in games though,

Originally my computer wouldn't boot into my SSD and i tried to repair it but had to reinstall my windows then the issue instantly popped up via games & i noticed it on windows a while later, i tested via using a spare motherboard with 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐫𝐚𝐦, but same 𝗚𝗣𝗨, 𝗣𝗦𝗨, 𝗛𝗗𝗗/𝗦𝗦𝗗, 𝗰𝗮𝗯𝗹𝗲𝘀, issue occured the same, then i tried looking at settings, limiting fps, trying out vsync but no matter what i did it stayed the same on every single setting.

A week later my PSU failed, i replaced it a couple weeks later and the issue occured still, i started thinking that my power supply damaged parts of my computer, couple weeks later i got a new motherboard and same issue occured, so it lead me to believe it was the GPU and/or CPU, so a week ago i replaced the parts and same issue occurs, just lesser extent and less choppy, but still there.

Here is a list of what i've tried,

𝟏 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟐 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐫𝐚𝐦 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟑 - 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐂𝐏𝐔 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝.

𝟒 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐬𝐬𝐝 / 𝐬𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 / 𝐬𝐬𝐝

𝟓 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟕 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟎, 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦𝐬 𝐨𝐫 𝐮𝐩𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬

𝟔 : 𝐑𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝟏𝟎 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝 + 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟕 : 𝐓𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫, 𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐩𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 + 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐨𝐫

𝟖 : 𝐄𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬, 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐭, 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐢 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞, 𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐃𝐔 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐩𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬

𝟗 : 𝐔𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐲𝐳𝐞𝐧 𝟑'𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐠𝐚 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐩𝐮, 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐮𝐞 𝐨𝐜𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐬𝐞.

𝟏𝟎 : 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐮𝐦𝐬 𝐚𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 (𝐧𝐨𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬)

𝟏𝟏 : 𝐭𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 (𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐤𝐞𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐢 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞)

None of what i did worked else i wouldn't be here, after thorough testing it lead me to the conclusion of the cpu & gpu being the issue, considering they both have the same issue across multiple boards, and gpu has same issue on different mobo with different cpu & ram, so i replaced them and same issue occurs still, leaving only three things, 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐏𝐒𝐔 & 𝐑𝐀𝐌, used my spare board that may have been damaged by my psu (this one's old and has no over / under voltage protection) with a stick of DDR3 ram that hadn't been touched by the psu, same issue occurs, leading me to believe ram is crossed out but i could be wrong.

I've asked around alot trying to see if each individual part could cause this, most people said gpu and/or cpu, my theory is that when my old power supply damaged my motherboard i'm currently using, it damaged the new parts i put it into, therefore same issue, however it's just a theory and not a very good one considering this is what im up against,

𝐂𝐏𝐔, 𝐆𝐏𝐔, 𝐑𝐀𝐌 & 𝐇𝐃𝐃/𝐒𝐒𝐃 went through extensive testing of 4 hours on burnintest, 0 errors occured, + benchmarks like UNIGINE heaven & UNIGINE valley DO NOT have the issue, neither does 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 / 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧, only via games / windows, also the GPU, CPU & motherboard have no visual damage, no bent pins on cpu, can't really see the inside of the gpu, but it looks fine & motherboard has no leaking capacitors, all of them also have no bad symptoms whatsoever.

Nothing i've tried has worked & i'm left with my computer parts damaging eachother or my 𝐩𝐬𝐮 / 𝐫𝐚𝐦 / 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐨𝐚𝐫𝐝 being broken, i can't figure this out for the life of me and i'm going insane, i've got no idea if it's normal for your game feel to shift between fluid to sluggish / slow but based on my previous experience of years in gaming, it dosen't feel normal, also with my old parts (top of the page) the issue i've described never happened before my ssd failed.

My FPS stays consistent during the transition from fluid to sluggish and slow, temperatures are a solid 60c / 70c on 𝐜𝐩𝐮 & 𝐠𝐩𝐮, cpu dosen't hit 100% most the time and same with gpu, unless under very high settings in which it needs to push itself, same with cpu,

I have tested my PSU's voltages with a multimeter and done the fan spin test, the voltages are within the 5% tolerance range (2-3% for all of them last i checked), also they are currently around the same volts i checked two days ago on HWInfo.

few obvious things people have already asked me but i'll stop y'all from asking if you are going to,

• No i do not have vsync on
  • No it's not because my ram speed is slow and ryzen depends on higher ram speed, as i said this never happened before my ssd failed and i had the exact same ram speed.
  • Most the people i've shown videos to do not see the issue, but a few do, i'm guessing it's one of those things people don't notice too much, unless you're a gamer like me.
c
Here are a few video examples, most are fortnite but it is clearly visible, on my phone and my computer, atleast to me, and no i'm not insane, i cannot see the issue on other people's computers or youtube / streams.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjcOI0uPzM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivxa-uWKxKM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGhpGXkAT8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzgQsge0Jk

That's all i've done and tested, now please help me, i'm very desperate, thanks.

PS : Sorry for all the reading, but i had to explain everything for y'all to understand.

Last edited:
Solution
Great so now i see half areas being slower and less fluid cause its 60hz, can i go backwards in time and not see it?

just fantastic nothing is broken after all i think..

the frametimes however do they look at all normal is something wrong with mine?

Well they look normal for someone running on a 60hz office monitor without synching

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I always use DDU to uninstall, also fastsync wont work because if nothing is damaged then without any type of sync it should be fluid

for some reason in every game half my areas are sluggish, slow and choppy when in open areas that need to render alot

other side fluid and smooth as it should be

last i checked a high end pc like mine should be ultra fluid on every game and not anywhere close to this

So if nothing is damaging anything, then something else is broken just gotta figure out what it is

(also used older drivers before)

I mean you replaced everything except the PSU, there is nothing else to replace.

Even with high end parts you will always get screen tearing and choppiness especially on a 60hz monitor. I don't know where you got the idea that everything should be fluid, it never is. I've never owned a system that was fluid on a 60 hz monitor, and even on my 100hz monitor some games (For Honor, certain scenes of Wolfenstein 2) are choppy without freesync on.

You really just need to TRY fast sync and see if it solves the problem.

Reactions: darknightbacca1

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I mean you replaced everything except the PSU, there is nothing else to replace.

Even with high end parts you will always get screen tearing and choppiness especially on a 60hz monitor. I don't know where you got the idea that everything should be fluid, it never is. I've never owned a system that was fluid on a 60 hz monitor, and even on my 100hz monitor some games (For Honor, certain scenes of Wolfenstein 2) are choppy without freesync on.

You really just need to TRY fast sync and see if it solves the problem.

trying fastsync but i doubt it'll help, also i get not being ENTIRELY fluid but i've seen videos of games, friends pc's all on 60hz and it's MUCH MUCH more fluid everywhere they look on considerably the same or less fps.

It's impossible to play games when half your areas are extremely sluggish, slow and choppy all the time

So if it's not internal, then maybe it's external but it's 100% not the hz of the monitor, same hz before and wasn't like this.

PS : Just tested fast, no difference

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
trying fastsync but i doubt it'll help, also i get not being ENTIRELY fluid but i've seen videos of games, friends pc's all on 60hz and it's MUCH MUCH more fluid everywhere they look on considerably the same or less fps.

It's impossible to play games when half your areas are extremely sluggish, slow and choppy all the time

So if it's not internal, then maybe it's external but it's 100% not the hz of the monitor, same hz before and wasn't like this.

PS : Just tested fast, no difference

Videos are impossible to judge as theres many factors that can affect them. In person viewing of the monitor can do it.

Ok if fastsync didn't work then try turning on vsync. I want to see if any of these affect it at all.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Videos are impossible to judge as theres many factors that can affect them. In person viewing of the monitor can do it.

Ok if fastsync didn't work then try turning on vsync. I want to see if any of these affect it at all.

Tested vsync before it just makes it more smoothed out but still there.

it's hard to explain but even more smoothed out half my areas still feel utterly different.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Tested vsync before it just makes it more smoothed out but still there.

it's hard to explain but even more smoothed out half my areas still feel utterly different.

If vsync is smoothing it out then it is normal. Maybe you had vsync on the whole time before

Otherwise I mean literally you've tried everything. There is no other explanation for this.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
If vsync is smoothing it out then it is normal. Maybe you had vsync on the whole time before

Otherwise I mean literally you've tried everything. There is no other explanation for this.

Vsync has been off on every single game i play, and if this was fixed

the frametime graphs wouldn't be like that and i wouldn't be seeing half my areas as sluggish, slow and choppy

something is still wrong here

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Vsync has been off on every single game i play, and if this was fixed

the frametime graphs wouldn't be like that and i wouldn't be seeing half my areas as sluggish, slow and choppy

something is still wrong here

I just don't know, I'm sorry but theres nothing else. As I said, everything has been replaced, tested or changed.

Try a new PSU, what do you have to lose at this point. it won't fix it, but it will give you peace of mind at least.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
I just don't know, I'm sorry but theres nothing else. As I said, everything has been replaced, tested or changed.

Try a new PSU, what do you have to lose at this point. it won't fix it, but it will give you peace of mind at least.

you've played games on a 60hz monitor right? do areas feel different to you, sluggish slow and choppy at all?

cause if they don't and it's near the same feel on every game then something is very wrong here.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

I can't accept nothing is wrong, so many years gaming, and one day it just changes from fluid to sluggish, slow and choppy it just dosen't make sense

+ videos may be different than real life viewing but that dosen't make any sense as to how videos of my pc playing games is like this

and other people's gameplay and friends DOES NOT have this issue whatsoever.

+ i remember how it was beforehand, it was fluid everywhere i looked and around the same feel

something is broken here, or maybe windows needs a reinstall or maybe something else.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
you've played games on a 60hz monitor right? do areas feel different to you, sluggish slow and choppy at all?

cause if they don't and it's near the same feel on every game then something is very wrong here.

Yes many times, open and detailed areas are choppy, tight areas are smoother.

Then i bought a 100hz monitor and started using freesync

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Video Unavailable

Seriously it got copyright blocked haha, anyway i just looked over a friends gameplay

and holy ---- i can see the sluggishness on there too

i may be extremely sensitive to this is this how games actually are just people don't notice it?

if so what the hell is wrong with game design, but still this dosen't explain my frametime graph

how are your frametimes compared to my graph i sent you earlier?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Seriously it got copyright blocked haha, anyway i just looked over a friends gameplay

and holy ---- i can see the sluggishness on there too

i may be extremely sensitive to this is this how games actually are just people don't notice it?

if so what the hell is wrong with game design, but still this dosen't explain my frametime graph

how are your frametimes compared to my graph i sent you earlier?

My frametimes are smoother but Im running a 100hz monitor and a very high end card (Vega 64). Frametimes can be affected by the monitor especially if its a slower office type monitor.

And yes people can be sensitive in many ways. Me actually if I play a FPS game or even third person like Tomb Raider and its under 60 fps I get vertigo.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
My frametimes are smoother but Im running a 100hz monitor and a very high end card (Vega 64). Frametimes can be affected by the monitor especially if its a slower office type monitor.

And yes people can be sensitive in many ways. Me actually if I play a FPS game or even third person like Tomb Raider and its under 60 fps I get vertigo.

Great so now i see half areas being slower and less fluid cause its 60hz, can i go backwards in time and not see it?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well they look normal for someone running on a 60hz office monitor without synching

Solution

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU : GTX 1060 6GB OC Strix
RAM : Geil Evo Potenza AMD Version 2x4GB 300Mhz
PSU : TX550M Gold
Motherboard : Msi B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Monitor : Asus VS228

So i've got two GTX 1060 6GB's, one old, one new these are the frametime graphs from msi afterburner after running Unigine valley at 60FPS (vsync) at 1080p

OLD GPU : https://gyazo.com/c7f741f8b36939b424a6a3e316af6678

NEW GPU : https://gyazo.com/97e4050b7a3ca0c08299a4e8b012aa82

Do these look irregular to any of you ?

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I was wondering, why do frametimes even do that, ingame on the Display from msi afterburner it shows 16.6/7ms non-stop on 60 frames

but on the graphs it jumps up to 100-200 randomly and spikes nonstop what's up with that man?

Many different reasons, sometimes just related to game optimization, other times your monitor. If your GPU isn't up to snuff that could happen (not your issue) or if your CPU can't keep up with the gpu in some cases, especially if there is some background software running taking up CPU cycles where the game is not getting priority.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
Many different reasons, sometimes just related to game optimization, other times your monitor. If your GPU isn't up to snuff that could happen (not your issue) or if your CPU can't keep up with the gpu in some cases, especially if there is some background software running taking up CPU cycles where the game is not getting priority.

Hi so my pc has been getting worse, as in games have been looking ever so much more choppy and sluggish, my windows is now 10x more sluggish and half my screen is slower then the other half, and i'm wondering if it's my motherboard doing this, i reinstalled my windows to try and see if it was that, second i got on i experienced some freezing and sluggishness

motherboards freeze right? reason i'm worried is because when i installed it i left out 3 standoffs by accident and screwed it in on the right side, like this

screw screw screw

screw screw screw

screw screw screw

the very right screws i screwed in without the standoffs present but i didn't switch it on until i found my issue, it bent the motherboard so i unscrewed it and did it properly, i'm wondering if since it might have bent it, it's creating issues now?

here's a picture : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nKwdV9osh4TnO3LqTdSUtiZjuEVcutjo/view?usp=sharing

there's a line on the back, what do you think?

i've switched back to my other one temporarily till i know for sure, what i've noticed inbetween both of them is my msi is more laggy on windows

Last edited: