Question Issue renaming files on 12tb MyBook

Oct 10, 2022
I am having an issue renaming files on a 12tb MyBook. The first time I connect the drive to a USB port and go to rename a file from say John Brown to John Brown 2 it will show both files, the original and the renamed file. If I disconnect the drive from the USB port and reconnect it to the USB port it will only show the renamed file, not the original.
Is there a solution to this so I dont have to connect, eject and reconnect the drive every time I want to rename a file? Thanks.

Oct 10, 2022
I don't understand what you are trying to do. :-?

When you rename a file, the name of the original file is changed. No new file should be created. It's only when you copy a file that two files will result.

Sorry let me clarify. If I rename a file from "John Brown" to "John Brown 2" both files will show only "John Brown" is a ghost file that will only go away if I disconnect the drive and reconnect it. I would just like to know if there is a way to rename the files and not have the old file name show without having to go through the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the drive.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Sorry let me clarify. If I rename a file from "John Brown" to "John Brown 2" both files will show only "John Brown" is a ghost file that will only go away if I disconnect the drive and reconnect it. I would just like to know if there is a way to rename the files and not have the old file name show without having to go through the process of disconnecting and reconnecting the drive.

Try pressing "F5" to refresh. I need to do that every once in a while with my internal 4TB drive.