[SOLVED] Issue, seemingly GPU related, causing odd screen flashes, low FPS/benchmark scores, and black screen in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepseaMK21

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hello! I don't often post and try to research as much as possible but I am at my wits end and cannot solve this issue.

In order to make this easier on the eyes I separated the different issues, but I believe they are connected. I included my setup, and some of the things I have already tried to fix the issues. Please forgive me if this is long, but without the proper info how could one identify the problem?:

ISSUES:
-Completely random black screen that last for only a second. Happens while in game and not in game. Sometimes doesn't happen for hours, sometimes happens within an hour multiple times, sometimes even back to back for a few seconds then back to normal.

-I can get into windows and play games and do normal tasks, but if I attempt to go into BIOS to change a setting, within 30 seconds (generally), screen goes black, A6 error code (detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices) appears on Mobo, however computer still operates, I can hit escape and exit BIOS without actually seeing anything, and windows loads as normal and screen comes back on.
NOTE: I unplugged the GPU from the MOBO, ran directly off MOBO and onboard graphics and I could get into BIOS just fine, no black screen.

-Interesting still, while in safe mode, to use DDU and uninstall old drivers, if I had the GPU plugged in, I would get a black screen again at the login screen. But if I turned the PC off, unplugged GPU, connected to on board graphics, turned PC back on, I could enter safe mode just fine.

-Maybe it's just me but I am underwhelmed by the RTX 2080 Ti, question is, is it because there is an issue causing the GPU to not perform great or are my expectations too high? I do not have 3D mark software but I do have Heaven benchmark 4.0. with 3D11 checked, 1600x900, 8xAA, full screen, Ultra setting, I scored a 3408. FPS 135, min. 15.9, max 383. GPU pulled 158 W at 1695 clock, 1575 video clock, 7000 mem clock, 63 C. 3408 seems really low, even though it isn't over clocked outside of factory settings.

SETUP:
8700K (not overclocked)
gigabyte Aorus gaming 7 Mobo
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra (not overclocked beyond whats set at their factory) (vertically mounted, cable mod riser)
4x8GB Trident Z RAM set to profile 1 @ 3000 mhz.
EVGA 1000 watt P2 PSU
250 GB samsung Nvme SSD
1 TB Samsung Nvme SSD
Alienware AW3418DW monitor, not overclocked, native 100hz.

Both the GPU and CPU are water cooled. 2 x 360 rads, Vardar fans x 6, and one high air flow exhaust fan at the back. Heat-killer IV on the CPU, alphacool eisblock GPX water block on GPU.

My CPU temps are fine under load, GPU is way higher than I would like and I plan on taking it out and redoing the thermal paste, maybe I didn't get a good seat or something IDK until I look.

Though mid 60's is by no means danger zone for a GPU, that's pretty high for my cooling setup, and constantly see people with WAY lower temps under load, with similar cooling setups, Ex: 40's and 50's.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The GPU is brand new, as I just sent my last one back for issues I was having where the screen would go black within a few minutes of playing a game and the only way to get back to normal was a reset. This isn't happening at the moment, but I fear it could be around the corner.

I bring this up because even though I don't have the greatest luck, I'm doubting my luck is that bad to where 3 cards in a row are bad. That's right, 3 cards. Granted, my first card was 100% the GPU, but with this current ongoing issue I am starting to wonder if the second card actually had any issues. Perhaps something else is going on.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
-I've ruled out the RAM by testing each individually and running tests on them (memtest)

-I've stress tested the CPU with Prime 95 and no issues.

-using Heaven and furmark, the GPU doesn't go above the mid 60's, but certainly performs lower than expected of an RTX 2080 Ti.

-I did a complete clean uninstall of old Nvidia drivers using DDU and following directions to a "T" and performed a clean install of the newest Nvidia driver.

-Nvidia panel setting set to "performance mode".

-Windows power plan set to "performance mode".

-Refresh rate in Nvidia panel matches monitor.

-GPU is in correct PCiE slot, x16 Gen 3, and I doubled checked, link speed is not in power saving mode or anything, full 8 Gt/s being used.

-After unplugging GPU and made sure it was plugged in correctly again.

-I load up and play a game like Destiny 2, Far Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, and DayZ, and use HWinfo 64 to monitor. I'm using max settings for all games. Games do not run as I believe they should with the 2080 Ti and 8700k. I don't believe I am bottle necking with the 8700k either, at least not enough to have such a choppy experience. It almost as if it "chugs" when I'm running around. Stuttering a bit, but frames are at an acceptable rate (around 60 FPS). Odd the frames are "okay" but gameplay is far from smooth. Doesn't make sense to me.

MY OWN (PROBABLY WRONG) CONCLUSION:
The only things I can think of is it's not actually the GPU, but the riser or the PCiE slot, however, I have no current way to rule one or the other out, and not sure what else/how to test for anything else in case it is in-fact a setting or something affecting the GPU. I suppose I could reinstall the fan for the GPU, remove riser, reinstall GPU horizontally, buy some soft tubing to bypass the GPU loop and go straight to my reservoir and see what happens. Does this sound like I'm going in the right direction? What else should I try?

Sorry for the long post but i have spent weeks trying different things I've read and searched for on how to fix this PC.

Solution
Use onboard iGPU to update the BIOS to see what happens, if the MB does not have the newer one.

If the MB has the newer version BIOS, you may try to use only two sticks RAM.

Or try to limit the GPU ( rtx2080ti) power with MSI afterburner. Or increase the voltage little bit, or under clock the GPU too.
Use onboard iGPU to update the BIOS to see what happens, if the MB does not have the newer one.

If the MB has the newer version BIOS, you may try to use only two sticks RAM.

Or try to limit the GPU ( rtx2080ti) power with MSI afterburner. Or increase the voltage little bit, or under clock the GPU too.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS