Question Issue upgrading hard drive(confirmed not DOA).

gdriveramiller

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
I have a very strange issue right now trying to upgrade my hard drive. So far no one has any explanations.

So right now I have 3 hard drives. A nvme, a ssd, and a hdd. All 3 have no issues.

Because I don't have room for 2 hdd I'm replacing the old one.

If I just plug in the new hdd using the cables for the old one it does not format or anything.

If I use the cables that are in my ssd(just as an experiment) it works.

I have also tried plugging it into a different sata port and it still does not work.

Also if it helps the ports that are in question are SATA ports 4(hdd) and 6(ssd) . Not sure that would make a difference since again all the drives work other than this new one in port 4. Another note is I DO have a 3080, so I don't know if it's a power draw issue? Didn't think the new drive would have a significantly higher power draw, if higher at all(new WD Black 7200 vs a Seagate(I don't remember if it was a cuda or anything).

The last configuration I tried was SSD using old HDD cables, and new HDD with SSD cables. That also does NOT work.

Literally the only configuration that works is old HDD + new HDD. It does not seems to like both the SSD and new HDD, which is the only reason I could think it could POSSIBLY be a power issue.

Needless to say, I am at a loss, and so is everyone I've asked.