[SOLVED] Issue Upgrading memory

Jul 25, 2020
Hi everyone I have a pc that i am trying to upgrade from 32 (2x 16) to 64gb (4x 16) of ram. After installing the memory the computer will no longer boot to windows 7 or 10 but can make it through the installation process. It will boot to ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 for short amounts of time before it hard locks up a hard reboot is required. I know that it is not a bad stick as i have replaced the 32gb i had with the new 32gb i had and was able to use it with no issues. I have also been able to swap slots / sticks with no issues occurring as long as i am not using more then 2 slots / sticks. Machine will boot to windows with 3 x16gb sticks in for short amounts of time before crashing these can be in any slot with any combination of new and old memory. I have removed all expansion cards / non necessary devices and booted with integrated graphics and only the cpu fan connected.

I have also re-seated the CPU and checked temps there is no issue with the leads as i mentioned slots / sticks all work independently as long as the slots are not full.

Gigabyte has said the only option is for me to send them my board / memory for them to test with and this is not a real option for me as i need my compute to work

if anyone has any other suggestions i would be very grateful

HW details:
i7 9700k -CPU
Gigabyte z390 Gaming X - Mobo
CoolerMaster v750 gold-PSU

Solution
You might want to inspect the CPU socket area for broken or bent pins, that's the first thing. The next thing I'd do is check and see which BIOS version you're on for the motherbaord(since you seem to be able to get into BIOS, your thread's description) and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

You forgot to mention the make and model of the ram sticks and if they've been purchased from different time frames, you will need to mention what their versions are(if it's Corsair).

How old is that PSU?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to inspect the CPU socket area for broken or bent pins, that's the first thing. The next thing I'd do is check and see which BIOS version you're on for the motherbaord(since you seem to be able to get into BIOS, your thread's description) and see if you have any BIOS updates pending.

You forgot to mention the make and model of the ram sticks and if they've been purchased from different time frames, you will need to mention what their versions are(if it's Corsair).

How old is that PSU?

Solution