Question Issue using 4K TV as second display on 2080ti

Nov 26, 2019
My PC has no problem connecting to my monitor, but when I try and connect a second display (4K TV), it refuses to allow me to extend the displays. My only option in Windows display settings (and in GeForce Control Panel) is to mirror the displays. This doesn't work for me, because when I try to play games on the TV, it won't run at full resolution, it just defaults to the monitor's resolution of 1440p.

I've had this issue with my previous GPU (1080), and I've tried multiple TVs, different cables, different ports on the GPU and the TV (or A/V receiver) and I haven't been able to achieve different results.

When I attempt to switch it to extend in display settings, both screens go black, or display a black screen with only the taskbar visible on both displays.

If I switch to only show the second screen (TV), it puts me back on the Windows log-in screen. When I punch in my password, the screen goes black and it returns back to the same log-in screen as if I hadn't typed the password already. There's no way to get around this, unless I switch back to mirrored displays.

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year with different GPUs and TVs, and I haven't been able to find anybody else with the same issue in any searches I've done. Not sure where to go from here..

Any guidance from someone smarter than me would be much appreciated!

(Currently trying to use HDMI to my receiver, but I've also tried Displayport to HDMI, and USB C to HDMI)

Nov 26, 2019
Hmmmm, does refresh rate have something to do with it, maybe? Are your drivers and firmware on all devices up to date?
Everything is updated. I’ll try dropping refresh rate down to 60hz on the monitor to match the TV. Hadn’t thought of trying that. I’ll update the thread when I get home tonight

Nov 26, 2019
What's the TV model?
The current TV is a Sony 65 inch A8G, but I've also had an LG E8 hooked up, and before that a Sony X900E.

Same results with every TV. Also I've had this issue with a previous GPU, so I'm starting to lean towards it being something to do with my motherboard. Not sure what else could be the issue.

TRENDING THREADS