Question Issue when upgrading drivers for new 3070

felipe.perez

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if maybe someone knows something about this. I just built a new PC, it's a 12700f in a b660 itx board with a 3070 (Gigabyte Vision OC)... thing is, I've been having a weird issue in which I can't upgrade my GPU driver.

Basically the PC posted fine after putting it together, everything was going well (including the nvidia driver that was installed by windows, a driver from 2021), but when upgrading the gpu driver to the latest one, when the screen normally flashes during driver updates, it just crashes into a flickering screen, and after that, on restart, it will start normally and when it loads windows it will show a splash screen with some green lines and get stuck there. I can even hear the windows 11 startup sound but nothing on screen.

I am able to enter safe mode and with DDU I can uninstall the driver and it will work normally after that, just without the latest driver. I've attempted installing different versions of the driver with no results. Installing drivers while on safe mode avoids the crash during installation, but still fails to start windows. I even benched the gpu with Heaven with the drivers autoinstalled by windows with no issues (it's a bit toasty but no crashes). I installed some games and played Elden Ring at 4k without any problems.

I'm at a bit of a loss now so I'd be thankful for any help.

Note that I've already installed all MB drivers, and I've also tried with XMP enabled and disabled, without any differences in results. Finally, I installed all windows updates, including an optional security update that showed up there.

Hardware:
MB: ASUS strix B660-I gaming Wi-Fi
CPU: Intel 12700f stock settings
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 5600mhz
Storage: Kingston KC3000 2TB m.2 SSD

Endre

Reputable
Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if maybe someone knows something about this. I just built a new PC, it's a 12700f in a b660 itx board with a 3070 (Gigabyte Vision OC)... thing is, I've been having a weird issue in which I can't upgrade my GPU driver.

Basically the PC posted fine after putting it together, everything was going well (including the nvidia driver that was installed by windows, a driver from 2021), but when upgrading the gpu driver to the latest one, when the screen normally flashes during driver updates, it just crashes into a flickering screen, and after that, on restart, it will start normally and when it loads windows it will show a splash screen with some green lines and get stuck there. I can even hear the windows 11 startup sound but nothing on screen.

I am able to enter safe mode and with DDU I can uninstall the driver and it will work normally after that, just without the latest driver. I've attempted installing different versions of the driver with no results. Installing drivers while on safe mode avoids the crash during installation, but still fails to start windows. I even benched the gpu with Heaven with the drivers autoinstalled by windows with no issues (it's a bit toasty but no crashes). I installed some games and played Elden Ring at 4k without any problems.

I'm at a bit of a loss now so I'd be thankful for any help.

Note that I've already installed all MB drivers, and I've also tried with XMP enabled and disabled, without any differences in results. Finally, I installed all windows updates, including an optional security update that showed up there.

Hardware:
MB: ASUS strix B660-I gaming Wi-Fi
CPU: Intel 12700f stock settings
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 5600mhz
Storage: Kingston KC3000 2TB m.2 SSD

Hello!

Please try installing the nVidia studio drivers instead of the GeForce ones (if you haven't tried that already).

felipe.perez

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
Hello!

Please try installing the nVidia studio drivers instead of the GeForce ones (if you haven't tried that already).
Thanks for replying!

This didn't work, however, I finally made some progress! I managed to successfully install driver version 511.79 (newest is 516.94). This likely means there's some issue between the driver and windows right?