Question Issue where a random Chrome extension is added to my chrome browser and redirects me to Microsoft edge? Virus?

Mar 18, 2023
I keep getting a random chrome extension called "bottle" that adds itself to my extensions every time i plug in my charger. The command prompt pops up. then an Extension is added to my "chrome extensions". Once its added if i open up a new tab. It automatically re-directs me to Microsoft bing or edge. A virus scan shows no viruses and if i open task manager it shows no programs running in the background. I remove the extension. But as soon as i plug in charger. Boom gets added again.

any ideas will help on how to stop it? thanks

I keep getting a random chrome extension called "bottle" that adds itself to my extensions every time i plug in my charger. The command prompt pops up. then an Extension is added to my "chrome extensions". Once its added if i open up a new tab. It automatically re-directs me to Microsoft bing or edge. A virus scan shows no viruses and if i open task manager it shows no programs running in the background. I remove the extension. But as soon as i plug in charger. Boom gets added again.

any ideas will help on how to stop it? thanks
Which is your default browser, chrome or edge? If its edge that would explain the re-direct.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs & OS information.

Malicious:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remov... Bottle extension?,the sites you are browsing.

No need to immediately download anything to "solve" the problem.

= = = =

To help identify the actual source/cause:

What "charger" are you plugging in"?

Are the any utilities, tools, or even apps that are associated with the charger: i.e., tracking voltages, times, use, etc.? Did you download them and possibly picked up the malware by doing so? Likely some trickery or misdirection involved....

In Task Manager, be sure to check the Startup Tab. Could be something being launched early on Look for anything that is unexpected or unrecognized. Then investigate further as warranted.

Take a look in Reliabillity History. Reliability History may be capturing some related error code, warning or informational event that occurs just after the charger is plugged in and/or the Extension reappears. Event Viewer can be used in the same manner - not as user friendly as is Reliability History.

Also look in Task Scheduler. Not sure how it might work but there could be some app or other action being launched when triggered by the charger being detected.

Mar 18, 2023
Update your post to include full system hardware specs & OS information.

Malicious:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-bottle-extension/#:~:text=for Bottle Extension-,What is the Bottle extension?,the sites you are browsing.

No need to immediately download anything to "solve" the problem.

= = = =

To help identify the actual source/cause:

What "charger" are you plugging in"?

Are the any utilities, tools, or even apps that are associated with the charger: i.e., tracking voltages, times, use, etc.? Did you download them and possibly picked up the malware by doing so? Likely some trickery or misdirection involved....

In Task Manager, be sure to check the Startup Tab. Could be something being launched early on Look for anything that is unexpected or unrecognized. Then investigate further as warranted.

Take a look in Reliabillity History. Reliability History may be capturing some related error code, warning or informational event that occurs just after the charger is plugged in and/or the Extension reappears. Event Viewer can be used in the same manner - not as user friendly as is Reliability History.

Also look in Task Scheduler. Not sure how it might work but there could be some app or other action being launched when triggered by the charger being detected.

Chrome is my default browser. Computer is a Dell Latitude 5420.. with windows 10, intel i5 processor. The charger is standard C plug that comes with the Dell. I have no special apps or anything tracking the voltage of the charger. The CMD prompt pops up everytime for 1 quick second. then closes. Shuts down my google page. so then i re open google. check the extentions and there it is... a bottle extension. I will follow the steps you have shared. Thank you so much for the advice. If you have any other ideas please let me know. I will also keep you guys posted on progress.