Issue with 1600mHz RAM & P6T

GooeyGungan

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hi, everyone,

I recently assembled my new computer, and it worked perfectly. It has an ASUS P6T motherboard, an i7 920 processor, and 3x2GB sticks of G.Skill 1600mHz RAM

However, after using the computer for a few days, I noticed that the task manager only reported 4GB of ram. The BIOS also only reported 4GB. I thought that I might not have seated one of the sticks very well, so I took them all out, and put them all back in. After doing that, all 6GB of my ram was recognized. After a while, though, the amount of Ram went back to 4GB. I also noticed that the motherboard was detecting the RAM as 1066mHz instead of 1600, so I went into the BIOS and set the frequency and timings of the RAM, and then it was recognized as 6GB. But, again, after one or two reboots, it went back to 4GB. I wasn't sure what to do, so I set the frequency back to "Auto", which got it to recognize all 6GB. Again, after one or two reboots, it went back to 4GB. I tried some other things, and realized that if I change the frequency (I don't think it matters what I change it to), the RAM will be recognized, but it will go back to 4GB after one or two reboots.

I'm not sure what caused this problem, and I've looked all over without any success. Anyone know what's wrong here?

Thanks in advance!
-GG

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I would try these two things first. Take the processor out and check for bent pins. The memory controller is integrated into the processor so you can't crank down on the heatsink like the other sockets, at the same time it can't be too lose.

Despite the fact you think the ram is good, test it anyways. I've seen a bad stick have the same affect. Run memtest if you haven't done so. My buddy explains this memory not detected stuff better than I can and his way is easy to understand, see link.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100429194317906&board_id=1&model=P6X58D+Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

GooeyGungan

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
starams5 - Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried testing all of the individual sticks, and ran memtest, but all of the sticks appeared to work. I also checked for bent pins, but they all seemed straight to me. I tightened up the CPU cooler and set the voltage per the suggestion in your link, so we'll see if that fixes it.

I also went back and checked the ASUS approved RAM list, and as luck would have it, my RAM isn't supported.
I have F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
On the list, it says it supports: F3-12800CL8T-6GBHK and F3-12800CL8T-6GBPI
(bold and italics added by me to show differences)
How important is this? Does this mean I have no chance of getting these to work no matter what?

Thanks again for all the help!

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Memory don't have to necessarily be on the QVL list to work, my ram isn't listed on the QVL either but it works just fine. On the other hand the ram may not work well with the board if it isn't listed. Most mem manufactures have a configurator at their site but some are confusing. Pickup the phone and call G.SKILL, someone there will know if the ram is compatible with the P6T or not.

Technical Support

Global:techsupport@gskill.com
USA:ustech@gskillusa.com (USA Technical support phone number 1-9095986860)

GooeyGungan

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
G.Skill has the P6T on their "Qualified Motherboards List", so I according to them, this should work. I've still got the problem, though. I'll try loosening the CPU cooler and see how that works.

G

hey did you finally got your problem fixed,,,,if so how ???? cause iam having this exactly same prblm as yours,,,
regards,,,

G

Hi, I have the same problem with GSKILL ram F3-12800CL8T-6GBPI and OCZ 3V1600 LV6GK. So I have 12Go ram. But after some days Computer shows onlys 8Go or 6Go or 4Go after reboot.
I did some experiences (disable bitdefender, disable windows update, ....) without any succes.
So I remove 6Go ram (OCZ): same problem.
Now I have only 6 Go OCZ ram.
I'll test this configutaion in order to know where the problem come from (motherboard, ram, other....)
On other forum, other people talk about the same problem.
If you rae interested, I'll give you the results in few (days/weeks)
Regards

MS

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I've seen this problem posted on a couple different message boards.
Read the white paper as to which model memory can handle it & at what speed or capacity.
You might be able to run 12 gigs of 1600 Ram but only at 1066 speeds.

Another problem that I've noticed is that some people don't pay close enough attention the voltage requirements of the RAM.
Intel Spec voltage is around 1.5 volts. Some memory requires 1.65 volts.

JD

G

Hello JD13,
You are right most of memories requiert 1,65V. It's not a problem with P6T V2 motherboard.
BUT: the PC works well with 6Go OCZ 1600 and I have a problem with the Gskill memories 6Go 1600 too.
I tested each memories with TESTMEM86+. no problem was detected.
I'm in contact with Gskill to solve the problem.
Maybe I'have to change the configuration of the BIOS for XMP memories (O.C. support).

But at this stage I'm in the limit of my knowledge!!!!!!! :eek:

I will let you know if I'll have some positiv results.

MS