Question Issue with 4080

Sep 12, 2023
The past few days my GPU has been shutting itself off and causing my monitor to lose signal to my pc. When this happens and the what's going on while this is happening can be different, but it always ends the same with the PC having to restart for the monitor to get a signal again. It either restarts by itself, I have to restart it manually. GPU fans go to 100 and it either shuts itself down or I have to manually.

When I check Windows event viewer afterwards it's not always the same. Sometimes I'll have a bunch of nvlddmkm event 14 errors in the list, sometimes I'll have 1 or 2 nvlddmkm event 0 warnings. When it's event 0 the timestamp is usually 10 or so minutes before my monitor loses signal. There's also Display event 4101, which seems to exclusively happen when the GPU fans get loud. Another thing I see is WHEA-LOGGER event 17. And sometimes there will be nothing at all. This all started around the 7th. which is when the first nvlddmkm event 14 error popped up, but WHEA-LOGGER event 17, Display event 4101, and nvlddmkm event 0 all have an entry on August 26th, which is odd because I was having 0 issues then.

This all began with Starfield. I was having piss poor performance in that game, and worst of all my monitor would lose signal when browsing menus. I looked online and saw others were having similar issues, and I also saw that there was a new nvidia driver which was supposed to help out. So I download it and Starfield is still acting the same way, and worst of all my monitor is now losing signal in Red Dead 2 when I'm in a menu, when I leave the game, or when a I skip a cutscene. Basically whenever the GPU stops needing to work as hard it happened, not consistently, but it was always those circumstances that caused it.

I later tried some stress tests to test my hardware. CPU was fine, Ram was fine, VRAM was fine, Power supply was fine* (I'll mention a detail about that in a second) When it came to the GPU stress test, it did great until the stress test stopped, and then my monitor lost signal again and I had to restart it.

And as of today things have gotten worse. It's happening IN gameplay now instead of just in menus, and during the power supply test I did, everything was fine until the GPU started working.

I just bought this PC so it's not like any of it is old and should be dying. Here are my specs:

RTX 4080 16GB
Intel i7 13700K
32 GB DDR5 Ram
1000w 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Things I have tried:

Using different monitors
Using a different HDMI cable
Rolling my drivers back
Changing TdrDelay from 2 to 10
Changing power preference to quality in NVCP
Uninstalling drivers with DDU x2 (Something weird that happened the first time I did this, after a restart happened, Device Manager said my GPU driver wasn't working, but when I disabled it and then re enable it this was gone, and I have never seen it say that again)

Different event viewer things I've seen:

View: https://i.imgur.com/OyRMSbU.png

Does anyone have any other ideas? Don't want to deal with the RMA process so hoping its not a bad card.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

RTX 4080 16GB
Intel i7 13700K
32 GB DDR5 Ram
1000w 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard?

Sep 12, 2023
Hi, thank you for replying, here is a better list of my specs.

CPU: Intel i7 13700KF

CPU cooler: Bitspower 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System

Motherboard: PRIME Z790-P WIFI (version 1205)

Ram: 32GB DDR5 ram

SSD: 2TB Samsung 980 pro (pcie gen4) nvme m.2 ssd

HDD: 4TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5400RPM HDD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB Founders Edition

PSU: Apevia ATX-PR1000 Prestige 1000w 80+ Gold (1 month old)

Chassis: HYTE Y60 Dual Chamber Mid-Tower Gaming Case

Monitor: HP Pavillion 27xw IPS LED Backlit Monitor

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023
Would still like to know the *exact* brand and model of the PSU in question. Lutfij asked the question for very good reasons.
My bad, sorry about that. I opened the case up and took a look at the PSU and from what I gathered the PSU is an Apevia ATX-PR1000 Prestige 1000w 80+ Gold

Edit - I bought from cyberpower and it looks like Apevia is the default brand they use for power supplies , it also looks like they aren't very reputable, so I should probably buy a better brand and replace it. If it really is the PSU, I hope I didn't damage it in anyway by testing other fixes and replicating the issue over and over.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS