Question Issue with 6650 XT on dual monitors ?

Mar 10, 2023
Hi all,

So I just upgraded my good old 1060 6gb to a 6650 XT and it's honestly such a good card for £299. However, I'm having a rather major issue which is that every single game lags without using borderless full screen and having the adrenaline performance overlay enabled (I can literally disable this during gameplay and it lags horribly, enable it and it's smooth as melted butter again). I've done some research and narrowed it down to a driver bug where dual monitors have different fps ? [poster may mean different refresh-rates].

I have a 75hz free sync for gaming and a big 60hz 3d projector for our main living room TV, both plugged into my pc (no issues on the 1060). I can roll the drivers back to an early December one which will supposedly fix it but I don't want to be stuck on that outdated driver forever. So playing in borderless with the overlay up set to transparent is fine, but some games such a Mx vs atv do not have borderless, so I can't play that anymore! This is such an irritating issue on such a good value g card, plz help!!

Also just to be clear this issue happens even while the projector is off but I have not tested with the hdmi unplugged completely as this is not practical for us. Monitor uses dp, projector uses hdmi, both into the g card. The issue also persists if I plug the projector into the mobo and use the igpu for it, with the bios setting enabled.

System specs:
Windows 11 (installed fresh only 2 months ago and fully up to date). Also the Nvidia drivers were DDUd before installing the AMD card.
MSI B660M-E mobo
i5-12600k
MSI 6650 XT Mech
32GB DDR4 Kingston Renegade 3200mhz
750w gold fully modular PSU
1TB NVMe SSD / 120GB SATA SSD / 3TB 7200 HDD / 3TB 5400 HDD
Monitor is a 75hz Freesync LG 24 inch
Projector is yaufey (outputs up to) 4k 60hz up to 300 inches

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

750W is the advertised wattage of the PSU, while Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the make and model of the PSU in question and it's age?

MSI B660M-E
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Mar 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

750W is the advertised wattage of the PSU, while Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. What is the make and model of the PSU in question and it's age?

MSI B660M-E
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
Thank you for the quick reply!!
My PSU is is a Uneec and it's only 7 or 8 months old. It doesnt exceed more than 50-60% under max load. I'm confident that it's not the PSU as games run fine in borderless full screen with the adrenaline performance overlay enabled. But disable that overlay and it's laggy as hell.
The bios I have not updated as j believe the board's manufacture date is later than the 6650xt (12th gen ready board).
I've been reading a lot about the various dual monitor issues with AMD drivers (December 2022 onwards), so maybe updating the bios could help?

Mar 10, 2023
You mean to say that this is your PSU:
https://www.amazon.com/Modular-Computer-Standards-Supports-Crossfire/dp/B09P1H58QL
?

The bios I have not updated as j believe the board's manufacture date is later than the 6650xt (12th gen ready board).
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B660M-E-DDR4/support
Might want to pull up CPU-Z and see what's shown under the Mainboard 's tab.
That is indeed my PSU, except mine is the 750w. It's good as far as I can tell, no coil whine or anything like that.
I have just flashed my bios to latest version (scary stuff for an amateur lol) and I discovered that the version I was using was from 2021, around the manufacturing date of the new GPU, and the latest is Jan 2023. I've tested Mx Vs atv in exclusive full screen and also a few other games and everything is now working fine without the adrenaline overlay! Never in my 11 years as a pc gamer have I needed a bios flash, but there's a first time for everything. You sir are a legend, happy Friday and enjoy your weekend! Hopefully some other unfortunate gamers can benefit from this thread as well :)