[SOLVED] Issue with Asus B550 motherboard.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
I built a new pc yesterday and everything worked just fine until this morning. I was using the new computer just fine and accidentally hit the switch on the power strip the new computer was plugged into. I turned it back and then the Monitor said that there was no signal. I noticed on the motherboard afterwards the white VGA light was on. I tried troubleshooting the issue. Now all I get is the is the monitor will show the login screen for windows for about 2 seconds and then I lose signal.

I am running Ryzen 5600x that is new. RTX 2070 super that I’ve been using in my other computer just fine for about a year now. 16gb Ram in the correct DIMM slot. Wd Blue m.2 ssd. 650w power supply

Also now that the login screen for windows has been popping up I don’t have any lights on my mobo lit up. I’ve tried reseating the graphics card as well.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Does the monitor show your motherboard POST screen?
Does it show the motherboard brand name with the dots circling below?

You might wanna try another input on the monitor or another monitor if you have one, a tv with an hdmi input will work too, or maybe try a different HDMI cable or another port on your gpu.

Something like this isn't supported to happen imo.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
it doesn’t show the post screen. I’ve tried using HDMI and DisplayPort on the monitor and the same thing happens. I did double check and made sure it wasn’t the monitors. I plugged in my laptop to each monitor and it worked fine.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
If it doesn't show the POST screen , it might be a messed up BIOS setting?
Try clearing the cmos by taking out the cmos battery, waiting for about 5 minutes and then putting it back in.
Then try to boot again.

Idk maybe the power supply gave up on the sudden power cut?
How old is your psu?

When the signal cuts off after displaying the windows login screen for a short while, does the system turn off, or is it just that the monitor signal cuts off?

If it's just that the monitor signal cuts off, and the system still remains on, maybe it's a windows problem?

Can you get into the BIOS?

If you can't get to the BIOS, clearing the CMOS should fix it.
Then try booting off of a usb drive into ubuntu or something and see whether the same thing happens.

Last edited:

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
If it doesn't show the POST screen , it might be a messed up BIOS setting?
Try clearing the cmos by taking out the cmos battery, waiting for about 5 minutes and then putting it back in.
Then try to boot again.

Idk maybe the power supply gave up on the sudden power cut?
How old is your psu?

When the signal cuts off after displaying the windows login screen for a short while, does the system turn off, or is it just that the monitor signal cuts off?

If it's just that the monitor signal cuts off, and the system still remains on, maybe it's a windows problem?

Can you get into the BIOS?

If you can't get to the BIOS, clearing the CMOS should fix it.
Then try booting off of a usb drive into ubuntu or something and see whether the same thing happens.
So I cleared the cmos and was able to get into the BIOS again and I booted back into windows off of my m.2 and the same issue happened where it will show the login screen for windows for about 10 seconds, but now it is restarting and it keeps trying to boot again and then it gets to the login screen and does the same thing over and over. Then sometimes I get a blue screen saying “It looks like Windows didn’t load correctly” and it gives me options to “See advanced repair options” or “Restart my PC”.

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
So I cleared the cmos and was able to get into the BIOS again and I booted back into windows off of my m.2 and the same issue happened where it will show the login screen for windows for about 10 seconds, but now it is restarting and it keeps trying to boot again and then it gets to the login screen and does the same thing over and over. Then sometimes I get a blue screen saying “It looks like Windows didn’t load correctly” and it gives me options to “See advanced repair options” or “Restart my PC”.

Okay it looks like the sudden power off may have messed windows up.
Select the advanced recovery options and try automatic repair.
This should work.
Windows should automatically try to fix the problem.
If this doesn't work, try downloading windows off of the microsoft website, making a bootable usb thumb drive, boot off of that and choose repair my pc, and choose automatic repair again.

If this doesn't work as well, try booting off of a thumb drive into a linux distro and see whether your pc can properly boot into an OS.

If it can boot into a linux distro but not into windows from your m.2 ,maybe try a clean install.
Back up everything you need to another drive from within the linux distro ,and then format your m.2 and reinstall windows.
If reinstalling windows doesn't fix it either, maybe your m.2 got messed up.
Try installing windows on a different drive if you have one.

Or it can be that particular m.2 port.

Last edited:

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
So I tried installing windows again and was able to get my computer actually work. I went in to the m.2 to erase the old windows folder. Then I went to shut down my computer and restart just to make sure that nothing was still wrong. It is now doing the same thing as before. I can see the computer post screen and am able to get into the BIOS and what not. I do know it is booting off the m.2. Then I get to the login screen and after about 5 seconds I lose signal, but the computer still stays on and goes through the startup post screen.

Is reinstalling windows on the m.2 a clean install? Or how do I do that exactly? Also when the monitor loses signal from the computer I can hear something sound like it’s shutting down.

Last edited:

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
So I tried installing windows again and was able to get my computer actually work. I went in to the m.2 to erase the old windows folder. Then I went to shut down my computer and restart just to make sure that nothing was still wrong. It is now doing the same thing as before. I can see the computer post screen and am able to get into the BIOS and what not. I do know it is booting off the m.2. Then I get to the login screen and after about 5 seconds I lose signal, but the computer still stays on and goes through the startup post screen.

Is reinstalling windows on the m.2 a clean install? Or how do I do that exactly? Also when the monitor loses signal from the computer I can hear something sound like it’s shutting down.
As I said, I think you should first make a bootable linux usb stick and boot off of that just to see whether your pc can boot into an OS properly without any hiccups.
If it can, then reinstall windows.

When you booted off of the windows installer, did you actually delete the older partitions on your m.2?

You need to delete the older partitions on the m.2 from within the installer and install windows on the unallocated space you're left with , because the old windows bootloader or some other system partition might be corrupted.

If you have any data that you want to recover, you can do that from within linux.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
As I said, I think you should first make a bootable linux usb stick and boot off of that just to see whether your pc can boot into an OS properly without any hiccups.
If it can, then reinstall windows.

When you booted off of the windows installer, did you actually delete the older partitions on your m.2?

You need to delete the older partitions on the m.2 from within the installer and install windows on the unallocated space you're left with , because the old windows bootloader or some other system partition might be corrupted.

If you have any data that you want to recover, you can do that from within linux.
I didn't delete the old partition when reinstalling windows. Once I did that everything seems to be fine now. Thanks a bunch!

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
I just built a new computer with Ryzen 5600x, Asus B550-f gaming, 1tb m.2 wd blue, 16gb ram, RTX 2070 super. I installed windows right after it posted for the first time and everything was running fine. I started it up the next day and everything was good. I then accidentally hit the power switch in the power strip I am using. I restarted my computer and I get all the way to the login screen of windows and It’ll show up for about 5 seconds and then I lose signal to my monitor. I know the graphics card works because I had been using it in my other pc for a year now. I’ve cleared the cmos and nothing happened. I’ve tried doing a clean install of windows and I can login and use the computer like I normally should, but it’s once I shut down and turn my computer on it’ll revert to doing the same thing where it gets to the login screen and then I lose signal. Now the computer still stays on and it’ll try to keep booting up and some times I’ll get a message from windows giving me the option to repair Windows, but nothing there has been able to help at all.

Also I have tried installing Windows ona different drive as well.

Last edited:
if you're getting Windows errors upon boot, and going through their options to repair doesn't work, reinstall again.

if you continue to get the black screen issue after Windows is functioning again;
when the screen loses signal, try disconnecting and reconnecting the display. it could be re-detected and start to function properly.
there's also a good chance that once Windows and all system drivers are properly installed that it will be properly detected and begin to function correctly.
different cables can sometimes also cause issues like this. if using HDMI, try DP and vice\versa.

what model is the monitor?

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
if you're getting Windows errors upon boot, and going through their options to repair doesn't work, reinstall again.

if you continue to get the black screen issue after Windows is functioning again;
when the screen loses signal, try disconnecting and reconnecting the display. it could be re-detected and start to function properly.
there's also a good chance that once Windows and all system drivers are properly installed that it will be properly detected and begin to function correctly.
different cables can sometimes also cause issues like this. if using HDMI, try DP and vice\versa.

what model is the monitor?
I've got 2 Asus vg248qe. So I reinstalled windows onto and ssd rather than the m.2. It works fine for now, but I know once I turn off the computer and start it up again I'm going to run into the same issue. Since it currently seems fine right now I installed the correct nVidia drivers for my GPU. I plugged in a DP cable instead of the HDMI and I get no signal from that. So I tried a different DP cable on the same monitor, again, nothing. I then tried both cables on the other monitor and I still have no signal from DP.

considering the things you've listed as already trying, it's starting to sound like motherboard and\or GPU issues.
even if the GPU worked fine before, there's a slight chance it may have damaged.

try connecting a tv as the main display through HDMI. if this works, than it leads more towards an issue with the monitor.
there's a chance the monitor may have malfunctioned in some way and just cannot hold a signal for some reason in some circumstances.

you can also try the monitor on a different device; laptop, 2nd PC, cable box, anything with an HDMI output and see of it gets a stable signal.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
considering the things you've listed as already trying, it's starting to sound like motherboard and\or GPU issues.
even if the GPU worked fine before, there's a slight chance it may have damaged.

try connecting a tv as the main display through HDMI. if this works, than it leads more towards an issue with the monitor.
there's a chance the monitor may have malfunctioned in some way and just cannot hold a signal for some reason in some circumstances.

you can also try the monitor on a different device; laptop, 2nd PC, cable box, anything with an HDMI output and see of it gets a stable signal.
Okay so upon further investigation, I have a GTX 970 from my previous computer so I put that into my current rig. Same thing happened where after five seconds or so I lose signal to my monitor. I put the 2070 super into my old rig and it worked just fine. So it seems the GPU is fine.

Now I'm either thinking the motherboard is the issue in some way since I've put a clean installation of Windows on 3 different drives and it made no difference. My question would be if I update the BIOS would that help in any way. I know currently the BIOS version I'm on is 1004. Could that be an issue?

can't hurt to update the BIOS. it could be an known issue with this board that may have been fixed in later BIOS versions.

the fact that you are\were having issues with Windows starting up could just be a coincidence and not related to this display issue. but you never really know.

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
Hello, I just recently built a new PC. Everything seemed to be working all right. I got the new computer to post and then I installed Windows and it seemed to be working fine. The next day I turned my computer on and was downloading some games off of steam. While I was doing that I accidentally hit the power switch on the power strip that I plug the computer in. I restarted the computer afterwards and I can get to the login screen for about 5 seconds and then my monitor loses signal, but the computer stays on, and the computer will try to boot again. I have tried doing a clean install of Windows and once I get that put on my m.2 drive my computer will work. I can log in to the computer and download drivers and what not. I have noticed though, when the computer is working that I'll only have signal with an HDMI, but not DisplayPort, and this is after I have downloaded drivers for my GPU. I have two ASUS VG248QE monitors. Once I lose signal there is a sound that I can hear, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Every once in a while, while the computer is booting there will be a blue screen that pops up and it's Windows telling me that Windows needs to be repaired, but I've tried every option and nothing seems to fix my problem. I can however boot into Windows in Safe Mode without issue. So I can't tell if it's a motherboard issue or Windows.

Things I've tried:
- Clearing CMOS and reinstalling Windows.
-Updating the BIOS to the latest version
-Reseating the graphics card.
-Using HDMI and DP cables and interchanging them between monitors.
-Installing Windows to a different drive.
-I put my GTX 970 in and the same issue happens and I put my 2070 Super in my old rig and it worked. So that crosses off the GPU as the issue.

My system:
Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 2070 Super
16gb of 3600mhz ram
WD Blue 1tb m.2

rabbitrider1

Honorable
Aug 2, 2015
I recently built a new computer. I installed Windows and everything was working just fine. I shut my computer off and the next day when I turn on my computer I get to the login screen for about 5-10 seconds and then my monitor will lose signal. The computer will reboot and do the same thing again. Then after about the 3rd time I'll get a blue screen that pops up with the "Recovery" on the top and below that it says "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly". I get two options "See advanced repair options" or "Restart my PC". I've gone into the advanced repair options and tried troubleshooting. I did a "Startup Repair" trying to troubleshoot the issue, but it says it can't find any issue. The only thing that has worked is booting in to Windows in safe mode and then my computer works just fine. I've tried reinstalling Windows on a different drive and I still get the same issue. Once Windows in reinstalled again my computer will work fine until I power down it down and power it on and I'll still have the same issue. I've tried a lot of things and am losing my mind haha.

Also, I do have the latest version of the BIOS for my motherboard. My system is Ryzen 5600X, 2070 super, Asus B550-f gaming motherboard