[SOLVED] Issue with attaching fans to case, need help

Jun 1, 2021
Hello. Recently ran into an issue where I bought the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB and tried to mount the fans on my Phanteks Case Eclipse P300 on the front side of the case due to the fact that the top of the case only supports one fan which wouldn't work because the radiator and the fans need a lot more space and simply wouldn't be that effective.

So I went ahead and tried to attach the fans to the front of the case with the radiator already being in place, but the screws that came with the cooler simply weren't long enough. I don't know if it's because of the thickness of the case or something else, but after an hour of trying to figure everything out, I just attached the radiator to the front of the case and left the fans facing the PC parts.

I do know that it's a bad thing for the parts of the PC because the airflow isn't there and it just doesn't look like it's supposed to.

I was trying to think of some solutions for this problem and I got two - maybe I should buy longer screws if that will fix the problem? Or a more expensive solution would be to buy a bigger case? Wanted to know if someone could help me out with this.

I will attach two images in hopes that they will help you understand what the situation is:
imgur.com/B3y1uCu
imgur.com/Azyr3bD

Solution
Of course, you can mount the fans on the rad either in a "push" arrangement (fans on the outside side of the rad blowing outside air though the rad), or a "pull" arrangement (fans on the inside to the rad, pulling outside air though the rads). Either way, instructions with the unit indicate that the bolts supplied pass though the holes in the corners of the fans and into threaded holes in the rad. IF you opt for the "Pull" config, then you may need a set of similar screws that go though the holes in the case front panel and into a set of threaded holes on the other side of the rad, just to mount the rad/fan assembly inside the front. On the other hand, IF you opt for the "Push" arrangement with the fans on the outside side of the rad...
I think it would be better if the pics were taken a little further away...but I would go with longer screws over a new case (much easier). ....and it looks like....for a quick fix you might even be able to use tie wraps....also known as zip ties or cables ties.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Of course, you can mount the fans on the rad either in a "push" arrangement (fans on the outside side of the rad blowing outside air though the rad), or a "pull" arrangement (fans on the inside to the rad, pulling outside air though the rads). Either way, instructions with the unit indicate that the bolts supplied pass though the holes in the corners of the fans and into threaded holes in the rad. IF you opt for the "Pull" config, then you may need a set of similar screws that go though the holes in the case front panel and into a set of threaded holes on the other side of the rad, just to mount the rad/fan assembly inside the front. On the other hand, IF you opt for the "Push" arrangement with the fans on the outside side of the rad, those supplied bolts SHOULD be long enough to go through the case front panel holes, then through the fans, and into the rad threaded holes - even easier.

HOWEVER, that would mean that the rad MUST fit tightly up against the inner surface of the case front panel. I note in your photos that it appears NOT to fit that way - looks like there's at least a ½" gap between the rad face and the case panel. Is that right? Can you tell why there is a gap there? Does something prevent having the rad tight against the panel? If THAT factor can be fixed, then you ought to be able to mount FANS against the inside of the front panel, rad behind that, and use those supplied bolts to reach through the fans into the rad threaded holes.

Solution
Jun 1, 2021
I think it would be better if the pics were taken a little further away...but I would go with longer screws over a new case (much easier). ....and it looks like....for a quick fix you might even be able to use tie wraps....also known as zip ties or cables ties.
The zip tie idea seems to be the best so far, I can give it a try as soon as I can get my hands on them.

Jun 1, 2021
Of course, you can mount the fans on the rad either in a "push" arrangement (fans on the outside side of the rad blowing outside air though the rad), or a "pull" arrangement (fans on the inside to the rad, pulling outside air though the rads). Either way, instructions with the unit indicate that the bolts supplied pass though the holes in the corners of the fans and into threaded holes in the rad. IF you opt for the "Pull" config, then you may need a set of similar screws that go though the holes in the case front panel and into a set of threaded holes on the other side of the rad, just to mount the rad/fan assembly inside the front. On the other hand, IF you opt for the "Push" arrangement with the fans on the outside side of the rad, those supplied bolts SHOULD be long enough to go through the case front panel holes, then through the fans, and into the rad threaded holes - even easier.

HOWEVER, that would mean that the rad MUST fit tightly up against the inner surface of the case front panel. I note in your photos that it appears NOT to fit that way - looks like there's at least a ½" gap between the rad face and the case panel. Is that right? Can you tell why there is a gap there? Does something prevent having the rad tight against the panel? If THAT factor can be fixed, then you ought to be able to mount FANS against the inside of the front panel, rad behind that, and use those supplied bolts to reach through the fans into the rad threaded holes.
Thanks for the quick response, Paperdoc. The initial problem with me trying to attach the radiator and the fans together (with the case being in the middle) is that the screws didn't seem to be long enough for me to be able to connect the radiator and the fans through the case itself (as I was trying to show in the pictures). Right now I have as you described the "push" arrangement. In the pictures I uploaded I was just trying to show the issue that I think this whole set-up might have - the screws just do not want to connect the radiator and the fans together.

What do you think about the method Jay suggested in the previous post he made here about using zip ties as an easy fix?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For a push arrangement on a front-of-case rad mounting, normally the layout is case front panel OUTERMOST, then fans, then rad. A single set of bolts though the case front panel, then the fan corner holes, and into threaded sockets in the rad accomplishes mounting all components. You appear to have wanted to mount the fans outside the front panel. Do you need to? Would changing that actually allow the bolts you have to reach?

Jun 1, 2021
For a push arrangement on a front-of-case rad mounting, normally the layout is case front panel OUTERMOST, then fans, then rad. A single set of bolts though the case front panel, then the fan corner holes, and into threaded sockets in the rad accomplishes mounting all components. You appear to have wanted to mount the fans outside the front panel. Do you need to? Would changing that actually allow the bolts you have to reach?
The reason I'm trying to attach the fans on the outer part of the front case is because at the moment I'm having quite the issue with the airflow the way I have the radiator set up - firstly, I have fans facing all the PC parts, blowing hot air on them / then I have the radiator which is attached to the front of the case. I'm not sure if I'm right here, but I think that the fans should be facing completely the other way.

Jun 1, 2021
I would use a ziptie that has a width small enough to go through whatever hole(s) you need to go through. Usually...with a PC....something like 1/8" wide or so will do.
Sorry for bothering you about this, but will this size for the zip tie do (width and length)? Was just browsing through and found this size 2.5x98 millimeters.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not clear how many case ventilation fans you have in total. I can see that the case is designed with two locations: one rear and a one top spot. Then the rad fans that are mostly for CPU cooling DO act as case INTAKE fans, too, if you mount them right. Most people would advise that the FRONT fans (whether by themselves or part of a rad / fan assembly) should be air INTAKES, and the rear and top fans should be EXHAUST. That will produce relatively smooth air flow patterns though the case and out.

You appear worried that the intakes on the front are actually supplying hot air into the case. NOT so. The rad operates at a rather low temperature (feel it yourself), and thus the air that has already flowed though the rad and been heated is only a VERY few degrees warmer than the external room air. That is why it IS acceptable to use those rad fans as your fresh cooling air intakes.

Do you have other fans (beyond those four) I have missed? If so, where are they?

Jun 1, 2021
I am not clear how many case ventilation fans you have in total. I can see that the case is designed with two locations: one rear and a one top spot. Then the rad fans that are mostly for CPU cooling DO act as case INTAKE fans, too, if you mount them right. Most people would advise that the FRONT fans (whether by themselves or part of a rad / fan assembly) should be air INTAKES, and the rear and top fans should be EXHAUST. That will produce relatively smooth air flow patterns though the case and out.

You appear worried that the intakes on the front are actually supplying hot air into the case. NOT so. The rad operates at a rather low temperature (feel it yourself), and thus the air that has already flowed though the rad and been heated is only a VERY few degrees warmer than the external room air. That is why it IS acceptable to use those rad fans as your fresh cooling air intakes.

Do you have other fans (beyond those four) I have missed? If so, where are they?
You are correct, I have four fans - one rear, one top and two front fans. So as I correctly understand the top and the rear fans should be exhaust fans and the two front case fans should be intake?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes. So that means you CAN re-mount the front fan pair between the inside surface of the front panel and the rad, ensuring that the fans are pointed so that they draw room air in from the outside and force it through the rads and into the case. I would hope that the bolts supplied can be passed though the mounting holes in the case front panel, through the fan corner holes, and into threaded sockets in the rad.

Jun 1, 2021
Yes. So that means you CAN re-mount the front fan pair between the inside surface of the front panel and the rad, ensuring that the fans are pointed so that they draw room air in from the outside and force it through the rads and into the case. I would hope that the bolts supplied can be passed though the mounting holes in the case front panel, through the fan corner holes, and into threaded sockets in the rad.
The initial problem here was that the screws/bolts are way too short when I was trying to mount everything up the way you described in this post. So therefore I was trying to find a quick solution for the issue I'm having. The best one yet was posted by jay to use zip ties. Just wanted to find out what size would fit best? Could I go with this particular size for the zip ties - 2.5x98 millimeters (width and length)?

Jun 1, 2021
I just ended up buying a new case (bigger than the one I had) for better airflow and an actual place where I could mount the radiator on top. If anyone's interested - it is the iCUE 220T RGB airflow mid-tower smart case and it's working wonders.