[SOLVED] Issue with audio jack on laptop - sound through left channel only ?

Mar 31, 2021
Hi,

Sound is only coming out of the left channel through my laptop's audio jack. I have tried multiple output devices, and those devices work fine when connected to my phone so it's definitely an issue with my laptop.

I've googled the problem and followed some basic steps: so far, I've restarted the laptop, checked for driver updates, ensured that my laptop was in stereo mode, and checked the audio balance - none of these were the issue.

What seems to be suggested to be the issue elsewhere is that it's a hardware issue and I should try cleaning the jack next. However, the way I'm experiencing sound right now is inconsistent with my experience with damaged/dirty jacks - I consistently get very clean, uninterrupted audio through the left channel and none through the right. Either way, I've got some compressed air being delivered early next week but any guidance on any other steps I could take would be appreciated.

Specs in spoiler below, if relevant the audio devices I've used are the Creative T100 and some older Phillips speakers. I think I've covered everything which I ought to include - please let me know if you need anymore information.

bhHdR0o.png

Solution
How would I go about checking/resolving this?
Basically you need to confirm (or not) that the metal contacts in the jack are touching the plug.

With a laptop.....this may or may not be easy depending on how easy it is to get access to the jack itself.

Sometimes....you can actually see the jack and the metal contacts.

I've actually bent them back into place (when they were bent).

Sometimes they are enclosed...which makes it pretty much impossible to see what's going on.

....but I think if you are getting nothing at all....it's probably not a dirty contact. I think it's either a contact not touching at all....or hardware failure of the channel.
Usually...if the contact in the jack is dirty...you will get some crackling on that channel and or distorted audio.

If you get nothing at all...I suspect the prong in the jack either isn't touching the plug at all....or there is another issue....like a possible hardware problem with that channel.

Mar 31, 2021
Usually...if the contact in the jack is dirty...you will get some crackling on that channel and or distorted audio.

If you get nothing at all...I suspect the prong in the jack either isn't touching the plug at all....or there is another issue....like a possible hardware problem with that channel.

Basically you need to confirm (or not) that the metal contacts in the jack are touching the plug.

With a laptop.....this may or may not be easy depending on how easy it is to get access to the jack itself.

Sometimes....you can actually see the jack and the metal contacts.

I've actually bent them back into place (when they were bent).

Sometimes they are enclosed...which makes it pretty much impossible to see what's going on.

....but I think if you are getting nothing at all....it's probably not a dirty contact. I think it's either a contact not touching at all....or hardware failure of the channel.

Solution
Mar 31, 2021
Ok, thanks. I've looked at some guides and I'm not confident taking the laptop apart to sort it out or change the jack so I've ordered a USB sound adapter to confirm whether it is the jack (and just to use if it is).

Appreciate your help!