[SOLVED] Issue with change to Virtual Memory settings In Windows

Dec 4, 2019
I have ryzen 5 3600x I was on this forum and saw something about increasing virtual ram to increase performance. So I did it. When I restarted pc I can't even run a program. Task manager(which took 2 mins to open) says 100% CPU usage at start up. I system restore and it's still slow. Also CPU still says clocked at 4.1 GHz

Solution
  1. That is for Win 8.1, not Win 10.
  2. That is for a whole different CPU than you have. That refers to a G620
  3. I don't know what value you increased your pagefile min/max to, but the numbers in that video are laughable, 10240-20960 MB = 10-20GB. That is drive space totally sucked up for no good reason.
  4. Changing the number of processors? Why would you do this?
Leaving it at System Managed would be/is what you need.
Whatever you've done, you now have the system in a totally unusable/unfixable state.

Recover from the full drive backup you made before going down this path.
Failing that...a clean install.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Where did you see that "increasing virtual ram increases performance" here? It does not, however disabling it can cause all sorts of issues. Also if you are using the product those instructions are from, its for the 32 bit version of windows which you are most likely not running, so you didn't need to do this anyway.

At this point you should make a backup of your files, format the drive and reinstall Windows. If doing a restore didn't fix it then you must have messed up something else somewhere else. As what you are saying it does doesn't jive with the issues you are having.

Dec 4, 2019
Where did you see that "increasing virtual ram increases performance" here? It does not, however disabling it can cause all sorts of issues. Also if you are using the product those instructions are from, its for the 32 bit version of windows which you are most likely not running, so you didn't need to do this anyway.

At this point you should make a backup of your files, format the drive and reinstall Windows. If doing a restore didn't fix it then you must have messed up something else somewhere else. As what you are saying it does doesn't jive with the issues you are having.
Sorry the increase performance part was on
In addition, the second part of that refers to 32bit Win XP, and the 3rd part refers to 32bit Vista and Win 7.
None of which you are running.

So what else did you do?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6OKGzDrQDI
i followed that i would have linked it in beginning bbut had to wait for chrome to load so i could go to history

USAFRet

Titan
  3. I don't know what value you increased your pagefile min/max to, but the numbers in that video are laughable, 10240-20960 MB = 10-20GB. That is drive space totally sucked up for no good reason.
Whatever you've done, you now have the system in a totally unusable/unfixable state.

Reactions: Dznxmic
Solution
Dec 4, 2019

guess i got performance greedy. Anyways i fixed it without reinstall of windows

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry the increase performance part was on

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6OKGzDrQDI
i followed that i would have linked it in beginning bbut had to wait for chrome to load so i could go to history

Wow not only is that video garbage, its not even for Windows 10.

The moral of the story here is don't follow some random yahoo on Youtube.

Change all those settings back and DON'T touch it, and you should be fine.