[SOLVED] Issue with cloning OS to SSD from HDD

codzilla418

Honorable
Nov 30, 2015
I just purchased a new Aurora R10 with an internal 1TB HDD, I installed my SSD in the PC with the SATA 2 slot, the SATA 1 slot has a blue color-coded SATA cable going to the internal HDD. I used the samsung data migration tool to clone the OS to a freshly formatted SSD. The information would format successfully without issue, BUT I could not get it to boot from the SSD instead of the HDD so I could reformat it for storage only. Upon looking in the data management window, my SSD was offline stating it had an identical signature identifier (that may not be the exact wording) of another online device so it was turned off. I changed that in the CMD prompt and tried again, it refused to work. I tried in the boot options with the BIOS, all it would let me select was the order with which to boot (i.e. #1 windows boot manager, #2 IP v4 etc.). Since then I completely wiped the SSD after cloning it and have not tried it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated in fixing this annoying issue.

Solution
Because you cloned the drive to the new one, the new device is an exact copy. The BIOS/OS gets confused because it sees them as being identical. You did it right but what you need to do is, after cloning, remove the old drive and just boot from the new drive to check it is working.

Then if it is working, you will need to format and/or re-partition the old drive if you want both in your system.

{GoofOne's 2c worth which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

USAFRet

Titan
Details, please.

What specific drives?
Specific motherboard?
How much space is consumed on the source drive?
What other drives are in this system?

If you put it back together in original config (without the new drive) does it work?

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Because you cloned the drive to the new one, the new device is an exact copy. The BIOS/OS gets confused because it sees them as being identical. You did it right but what you need to do is, after cloning, remove the old drive and just boot from the new drive to check it is working.

Then if it is working, you will need to format and/or re-partition the old drive if you want both in your system.

{GoofOne's 2c worth which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

Solution