Question Issue with Configuring RDP

djsniperwolf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Internet Router 192.168.1.1 (Assigns Wireless router to an IP of 192.168.1.6)
Wireless Router 192.168.2.1 (ASUS RT-AC85U)
RDP Maching 192.168.2.57

These all are all static routes.

I am having some issues getting basic RDP to work on this ASUS wirless router. It is relatively new, but has been nothing but trouble. I am a CISCO and Sonicwall guy, which provide me no dificulty in configuring. Can someone please help as my wife is begging to have RDP configured. I promise myself I will never buy an ASUS wireless router again. No matter what it is you want to do, ASUS dislikes it and decides it wants to be reset.

djsniperwolf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
This computer will be accessed from an external IP. We tend to use an RDP application from our phone or desktop, so chrome would not be an option. I have checked to see if the port is opened, which it is not. I have tried disabling the firewall on both routers and the workstation but that didn't work either. To me, it seems like a NAT issues as well, but this ASUS router is such a pain to figure out. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the responses.

I have never had issues with port forwarding passing off the connection request to the destination IP, but this setup seems to be giving me trouble.

You need to port forward in both routers. I would use the DMZ option in the main router and point it to the asus router. The asus is pretty standard and I actually like it better than many other routers.

BUT RDP is not secure enough to run directly over the internet. Many ISP block the ports used by RDP because they know it is insecure and want to protect people from themselves. I would use something other than RDP, there are many remote desktop apps.

If you insist on using RDP then you want to use a VPN. Not sure if the ISP router can run as vpn server but the asus router can. You load a simple openvpn client in the end machine. You get a lan ip in your network and RDP just works like it does from local machines.

Last edited:

djsniperwolf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Awesome, exactly what i wanted to hear! Thanks for improving my view on ASUS. I often opt for SonicWall VPN Client, but I will most definitely give OpenVPN a shot! I will report back with my results after configuring everything. Thanks again for the help.