[SOLVED] Issue with Dell XPS 8930 again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
I have a Dell XPS 8930, with SSD and HDD, about 3 1/2 years old. Something odd (to me, anyway) has happened since I first got this computer: Upon booting up, I get three messages: 1. Scanning for signal 2. No mDP signal from your device. 3. Entering power save mode. Then, the desktop will show, and, after that, the computer runs well.

Right from get-go, the three messages took a long time to appear and disappear, which made for a very slow boot -- the opposite of what an SSD is supposed to be like. After doing research, and getting great answers from this forum, I suspected Dell had installed the OS on the HDD. They told me to send the tower back; they admitted the OS had been installed on the wrong drive; and they remedied that problem. The boot was faster after that, but I still got those same three messages before arriving at the desktop.

In Oct 2021, other problems arose, and this time Dell sent a certified Dell onsite technician. He found that both the SSD and the motherboard were faulty. He replaced both with new components, and the computer booted up much more quickly. Again, after boot, it runs very well -- but I sometimes still get those three messages prior to reaching the desktop. Is this normal?

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
yeah. until the computer boots, it will have no video output.
OK. I believe you, certainly. As I've said, I've gotten great answers from this forum. Now, one more question: I know the OS has been reinstalled on the SSD, and, just last month, the SSD and motherboard were replaced by a certified onsite Dell tech -- so I guess I'd expected the boot to be faster. Is there any other component I should worry about?

Raena92

Reputable
May 4, 2019
what else do you have connect to the dell?
and how slow is slow?

OK. I have a printer connected (Epson), two external speakers, the monitor, keyboard and mouse . (For some reason, a wired mouse works better.)

Now, I'm trying to estimate "slow." It's certainly a lot faster than it was when the OS was installed on the HDD. I would say that now, after installation of a new SSD and motherboard, the boot is about 30 seconds. Maybe that's perfectly fine, and I'm worried about nothing.

Oh, where I presently live, WIFI is the only way to connect to the internet. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Thanks so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.