Question Issue with driver(?) on custom build: crashes & BSOD

lawrencejkparsons

Reputable
Feb 3, 2018
I recently got my first custom-built PC (built by professionals, not me) but I seem to be having some issues with it.

Games that I should be able to run on ultra with no difficulty frequently crash to desktop. Sometimes, my computer shuts down entirely unexpectedly. Every time my computer restarts (even when I shut it down properly myself) I get the message that AMD’s wattman settings were reset to default due to an unexpected system shutdown. I also get semi-regular BSOD, with varying error codes. The most recent one was a ‘Memory Management Error’, which I see can apparently be caused by faulty drivers. I have also gotten a ‘Page Fault in Nonpaged Area’ area, which is apparently caused by a power outage (which didn’t happen) most frequently, but can also be caused by bad RAM or a driver issue.
The common thread between a lot of these error messages has been a potential driver issue, so I am fairly sure it’s a driver issue of some type, but I’m not quite sure how to fix it.

I have tried:
  • Using AMD’s clean up tool and reinstalling the driver downloaded from the official site
  • Using automatic programs like IO bit driver installer to update the driver
  • Running dxdiag (doesn't appear to have any issues, to my untrained eye)
  • Running Windows Memory Check (no errors found)
  • Uninstalling the device, redetecting it, and letting windows install the right driver
  • Making sure Windows is up to date (it is, according to the official 'check for update')
  • Disabling fast start up

Here is my speccy report, and also my dxdiag report & Windows Reliability History, if that's at all useful. I've done everything I can think to do and googled my heart out but I seem to be at a loss. Thank you all very much in advance.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Memory Management Error
This is either driver or hardware, but there are multiple violation types to this BSOD, so we'd have to debug to identify if it could be a third party driver. Usually if this isn't a driver, it can be RAM - so a memtest is always a safe bet after these BSOD.

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area
This is a driver based BSOD - but it's also useful to known what argument 4 of this bugcheck is as this indicates 2 different types of the same problem. We could potentially identify the driver in the stack if you have a link to the minidump file associated with the BSOD.

DXDIAG is more of an information program, and can be useful if you know what hardware is causing the problem, but doesn't give much else outside of that.

What drivers have you been fixing exactly? What device did you uninstall?
Is your BIOS up to date?

If you have a link to the minidump file, we can debug it can feedback any findings.

lawrencejkparsons

Reputable
Feb 3, 2018
Thank you so much for your fast reply!
What drivers have you been fixing exactly? What device did you uninstall?
I've tried anything that seems to have any issue with it. I got an error message for my graphics card, so I've been mostly focusing on that, but also drivers relating to sound, network adapters, disk drives etc. I haven't kept an exact log but I must have removed and reinstalled the drivers for a bit more than a dozen things.
Is your BIOS up to date?
I'm not sure - I haven't done anything to update it, so if it doesn't automatically update/is up to date out of the box, probably not. Come to think of it, when I was picking parts, I think I do vaguely recall there being a minor compatibility issue with my motherboard and certain graphics cards where I would have to update the BIOS before they would work correctly. In system information it says the version date is 6/03/2019, so it doesn't seem horribly out of date, but still I will look into how to update my BIOS and see if that helps. EDIT: nope, it seems up to date. The only newer version is a beta version which has a warning that updating is not recommended unless it is necessary.
If you have a link to the minidump file, we can debug it can feedback any findings.
I've never heard of minidump before, are these the correct files?

Thank you again :)

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right so I have ran the dumps you have attached through a debugger and have created the 3 following reports (1 of the dumps I could not open):

Dump #1: https://pste.eu/p/eUKX.html
Dump #2: https://pste.eu/p/zdHU.html
Dump #3: https://pste.eu/p/uShp.html

You have had the same third party modules running at each crash and on one of the dumps the debugger was unable to identify a faulting process or thread. The vast array of BSOD can indicate a hardware problem. I can also confirm that you have the latest BIOS installed.
  • Can you confirm if the issue persists in safe mode?
  • Are you running any overclock on any components at all?
  • Have you run an SFC and CHKDSK in an elevated command prompt?
  • Run memtest on your RAM modules to test for RAM issues (even though you have run Windows Memory Diagnostic)
  • Identify if there is an update for your Realtek Wirless USB 2.0 Adapter Driver module as this appears to be 12 months old.
  • Identify if there is an update for your Ryzen Master Driver module as this appears to be over 12 months old.
  • I am not aware if there are any issues around the Wacom drivers.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I checked your motherboard and the update that would possibly help (memory compatibility) is 7B90v14 1.31.2019. You can find your current version in your BIOS or a System Information and Diagnostics Tool like HWInfo64
Current BIOS information is on the 3 reports above:

Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product B450M BAZOOKA PLUS (MS-7B90)
Version 1.0

The BIOS may help, but outside of an AMD CPU upgrade and Combo update, I can't see if they've made any improvements to memory stability.

Yes, MSI also has a Chipset driver it strongly suggests installing before updating the BIOS. The MSI update is 8.1 where the OP has version 8.0. While I don't know is these will solve the OP's issues, but it's a good place to start, especially with the memory compatibility improvements with the last 4 bios updates.

Reactions: PC Tailor

Colif

Win 11 Master
The newest bios is beta, and says Note: MSI do not recommend updating the BIOS unless it is necessary underneath it so I wouldn't rush into it without being sure.

Dumpls blaming win8 driver, so could be chipset. I never seen dumps blame a win 10 driver so could be they don't have that text in debugger

one way to tease a misbehaving driver out is to run driver verifer - look at 2nd thread in this post and do the two precautionary steps I showed, as it can cause boot loops - its part of windows 10 designed to test drivers, I just wish it didn't try to break windows at same time - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Reactions: PC Tailor