Question Issue with either Intel I7-4790 CPU or Asus Z97-A Motherboard

Oct 8, 2022
I am in the process of building a PC for the first time and am having an issue. I have everything connected correctly but when I try to boot the PC the LED labeled CPU_LED blinks red once every 4ish seconds and my monitor says that there is no signal.

Coinciding with this blink all of the fans work and the WIFI adapter blinks as well, but whenever the light is off the fans do not move.

I've done some testing and discovered that when the CPU isn't being powered all the fans run fine and the light on the WIFI adapter is solid, but obviously the PC isn't functional without the CPU being powered.

Nothing changes when I remove one of the ram sticks or when I move it to different positions. Further, nothing changes when i remove the gpu leading me to think that either the motherboard or CPU has an issue.

The CPU worked fine in an older computer so I am thinking that maybe the motherboard has an issue.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? The ram is also from an older computer so maybe that is not compatible?
My specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: 2x: Samsung M378B1G73DB0-CK0 Samsung 8GB 2RX8 PC3-12800U
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA KO ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 700 BR 700 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: EDUP EP-9636GS-BL 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

If CPU and RAM are known OK and "I have everything connected correctly", then motherboard is a prime candidate.

Tough to trouble shoot that without another board to swap in or sophisticated tools.

You could try removing everything from the case and setting it up one piece at a time on a table top to see how far you can get.

I assume all of this stuff is well-used?

When was the board last known to be "OK"?

Oct 8, 2022
If CPU and RAM are known OK and "I have everything connected correctly", then motherboard is a prime candidate.

Tough to trouble shoot that without another board to swap in or sophisticated tools.

You could try removing everything from the case and setting it up one piece at a time on a table top to see how far you can get.

I assume all of this stuff is well-used?

When was the board last known to be "OK"?

I bought the board online about a week ago and the seller said it was working, but I had no way of verifying it. That said, the seller of the motherboard takes returns so if it is a motherboard issue I can always return it.

In terms of everything being connected I had a friend who has built a couple PCs helping so I'm reasonably confident in that.

Do you think it is worth my time and money to take it to a local PC shop and see what they say?

In terms of everything being connected I had a friend who has built a couple PCs helping so I'm reasonably confident in that.

Do you think it is worth my time and money to take it to a local PC shop and see what they say?

Local PC shop would not be my first idea...at least for now. Probably 75 or 100 dollars to get them off the couch and you may have little idea of their competence.

Are you the original owner of any of these parts?

When did any of these parts last perform OK in a working PC?

Do you have any "replacement" parts available to swap in as a test or would you have to buy or borrow any replacements?

Oct 8, 2022
Local PC shop would not be my first idea...at least for now. Probably 75 or 100 dollars to get them off the couch and you may have little idea of their competence.

Are you the original owner of any of these parts?

When did any of these parts last perform OK in a working PC?

Do you have any "replacement" parts available to swap in as a test or would you have to buy or borrow any replacements?

The parts that were previously used were the motherboard, ram, and cpu. I bought the CPU cooler, GPU, PSU, SSD and WIFI adapter all new.
The CPU and RAM were last working in a PC an old Lenovo pre-built PC about a week ago.

Unfortunately I don't have any replacement parts on hand or easily borrow-able but I am planning on getting new RAM and if that doesn't work then I will return the motherboard and try a new one. If all else fails I will probably look into a new CPU.