Question Issue with frequent ping spikes that last in intervals of ~5 seconds

Jul 11, 2019
Hello, I've been having an issue while playing games where my ping spikes from its usual number and increases itself by around 200 ms every time. This happens roughly every 5-10 minutes, sometimes theres good days, sometimes theres bad days, and they always last for about 5 seconds. During these five seconds the game becomes unplayable. I've had this issue for almost a year and I've just become tired of it so I decided to search for some help here. I've tested it on an xbox one console connected to the same wifi network, and it doesn't seem to happen on there. Either that, or I just haven't played long enough on it to find out because like I said the time between these ping spikes seems to fluctuate every week or so and I barely touch my console anymore. I have gotten annoyed throughout the past year and did mild research on the issue from time to time but can't seem to find a fix.

Here is some information that I hope could help:
  • ISP is Cox Communications
  • I use a desktop computer not a latop
  • I have a Netgear AC1900 C6300BD. I don't know much about it but it seems to be a router and modem combined into one device. Its only about two years old.
  • Only about 15 feet away from the router with a couple walls in between. The wifi signal strength is perfectly fine.
  • On an average day there is usually about 7 devices connected to the router via wifi with a home security system connected via ethernet.
PC Specs:
  • I have had this PC for two and a half years. In that time I have only upgraded the GPU and added an SSD. I'm actually upgrading the CPU and Motherboard within the next week due to a small CPU bottleneck but I don't think the bottleneck is the issue because I've only had it for about three months, which is when I upgraded my GPU and created the bottleneck.
  • Intel Core i5-6500
  • GTX 1070 ti
  • Asus H110M Mobo
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • TP-Link - TL-WN881ND WiFi Adapter
  • Windows 10 Education / Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS