Issue with GA-965P-S3 Rev 1.0 and E6600 Heatsink Startup?

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hello,

I finally was able to build my system, after the PSU almost doesnt ship...
Anyway, so far its working perfectly, temps are just fine etc... (Im gonna do some tests tomorrow, maybe add a new fan etc etc).
All games running full everything etc. You get the picture, the system works just fine.

However, there is a little thing that bugs me... when I was turning it on for the first times, I left the case opened to check, and guess what, the CPU fan had a hard time starting up (retail heatsink).
I found out there is a BIOS option to make the MoBo beep whenever there is a CPU fan problem (it didnt start), and everytime I turn on my PC, it beeps like hell... usually I reboot a couple of times (inmediatly after hearing the warning beep) and then it stops beeping (which means the fan has started and its all fine. I check through BIOS and I see efectively, the fan is spinning).

Im trying to find out, why?
This only happens when I come home from work at nights, aka so far (just installed it on monday) I havent left it on, just at nights, then I turn it off.

So this means, the CPU fan not starting happens when my PC has been turned off for about 16 hours or so...

Right now for example, if I was to reboot it, I wouldnt experience such a problem, the fan keeps on running.

I guess what Im trying to say is that, it might seem as if, when the fan is cold, it needs a little warmup (couple reboots), but after it starts throttling it doesnt stop...

Very strange...maybe some of you with a similar config that mine (I know that are many), would care to share your BIOS settings and/or the MoBo setup?

For example I have my only SATA drive, connected to the SATAI port, because the "Gigabyte" SATA port (purple I think), is like the last port, and when I installed windows for the first time it installed itself on Z: or something :roll: (Since I have 2 IDE drives).
Also I dont know what is the "system fan", I just plugged the heatsink to the CPU fan port.

E6600
eVGA 8800 GTA 320
Antec EarthWatts 500W
2 GB OCZ DDR2
APC 600VA UPS
Acer AL1916W (19"W)

So I dont know if its the way I plugged the power cords or what... but after the "problem" is gone the computer works perfectly, that's what Im trying to say.

Thanks for your time :)

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Wow wow wow 8O

Haha... I thought I had done something terribly wrong when building... had no idea it was actually my MoBo playing a trick on me :p
Guess Ill just leave the beep warning off (default) then :)

Thanks a lot for your time guys, now I can breathe again :):):)