Question Issue with games at 144hz when anything is in the background ?

May 29, 2021
Hi,

I have an issue that I just cannot solve, whenever I play a game in window/borderless window, the game isnt smooth and stutters when the camera is moved or rotated, this only happens when I have something in the background such as a browser opened, this behaviour is the same with all web browsers and not related to just one, I will post my specs below

CPU - Intel® Core™ i9-10900K
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO Wi-Fi
RAM - 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
VIDEO CARD - 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 (gigabyte)
SSD - 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
PSU - CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD

I use a asus rog swift PG278QR, I have tried turning g sync both in fullscreen and windowed mode, the game is running at 141 fps (capped in control panel) the refresh rate at 144hz in windows.
The steps I have taken so far is to DDU my current nvidia drivers and in turn have tried many different versions without any luck
Reinstalled windows
made sure windows update is up to date, updated bios and updated any relevant drivers uncluding the monitor itself
I have disabled any overdrive options in the monitor itself with no luck.

when I run games in fullscreen the issue is gone and it works as intended.

Any insight in to what is happening would be great, thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's a fullscreen optimisation feature Win10 has. Can disable it under compatibility for any game exe/application. Personally i turn it off for all my games. It's meant for easier alt tabbing, blend between borderless and fullscreen but doesn't really sit well with a lot of games.

TRENDING THREADS