Question Issue with games crashing and power usage redlining on my 3080.

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
I just finished building my new PC but I having issues where the system crashes a game and then no other games or even programs will boot after,. This includes rebooting machine, This has happened 3 or 4 times in last week, Nvidia drivers up to date, windows 10 is up to date. when I monitor task manager anything I try to boot once this occurs shows power usage as dark red with VERY HIGH, it then crashes. I ran a command prompt (admin) SFC system file check i think it is called. corrected some files, but it took me 3 hours to get anything to load. I am not overclocking anything. I have system hooked up to a 1500w APU, I have even gone back and dumbed down the graphics settings.

Odd thing is that the ROG GPU Monitor shows spikes but usage never gets above say 59%, temps never above 60*C. Kind of sad really my 770GTX and then my 1060GTX were always stable and never had issues but this is right out of the gate.

System is
CPU AMD 5800x
MB Asus ROG Strix X570-e
Ram 128GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 (4x32GB)
Storage is 2 1TB Western Digital NVMe M2
PSU Corsair HX850i (with Corsair white cables)
GPU Asus ROG Strix NVidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB OC

**Edit just launched a game and there is a really old bit style caption PHYSX>CPU at top of game. looks like something out of the 90s

Last edited:
I just finished building my new PC but I having issues where the system crashes a game and then no other games or even programs will boot after,. This includes rebooting machine, This has happened 3 or 4 times in last week, Nvidia drivers up to date, windows 10 is up to date. when I monitor task manager anything I try to boot once this occurs shows power usage as dark red with VERY HIGH, it then crashes. I ran a command prompt (admin) SFC system file check i think it is called. corrected some files, but it took me 3 hours to get anything to load. I am not overclocking anything. I have system hooked up to a 1500w APU, I have even gone back and dumbed down the graphics settings.

Odd thing is that the ROG GPU Monitor shows spikes but usage never gets above say 59%, temps never above 60*C. Kind of sad really my 770GTX and then my 1060GTX were always stable and never had issues but this is right out of the gate.

System is
CPU AMD 5800x
MB Asus ROG Strix X570-e
Ram 128GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 (4x32GB)
Storage is 2 1TB Western Digital NVMe M2
GPU Asus ROG Strix NVidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB OC

**Edit just launched a game and there is a really old bit style caption PHYSX>CPU at top of game. looks like something out of the 90s
Do you have multiple psu cables ran to your gpu or just one in a daisy chain

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
So I downloaded HWmonitor and tried to run it after a crash to see what is going on and it crashes back to desktop. iCUE was showing low usage when I looked after the game crashed but it also crashed right after. I have the GPUROG program open and with nothing but discord window GPU monitor and Google open it is sitting at 810 MHZ memory with spikes to 19004 (max) as soon as I launch anything it drops off right away but program is already crashing or frozen. I dropped the res on my 32" monitor from 4k to 2k to see if that helps, the other monitors I have had 3 + years and are only 1080p 60hz so nothing stressful.

also ran both antivirus scan and mal ware both came up clean.

Last edited:
So I downloaded HWmonitor and tried to run it after a crash to see what is going on and it crashes back to desktop. iCUE was showing low usage when I looked after the game crashed but it also crashed right after. I have the GPUROG program open and with nothing but discord window GPU monitor and Google open it is sitting at 810 MHZ memory with spikes to 19004 (max) as soon as I launch anything it drops off right away but program is already crashing or frozen. I dropped the res on my 32" monitor from 4k to 2k to see if that helps, the other monitors I have had 3 + years and are only 1080p 60hz so nothing stressful.

also ran both antivirus scan and mal ware both came up clean.
I would suspect this to be a faulty psu not able to handle random power spikes, to which causing interment latency causing full system failure repalce psu

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Also ran Command Prompt SFC as admin and no errors were found, yet any programs that have messages are saying to verify data. The only thing that is working right now is Google Chrome, HW monitor crashes, all games crash on boot (as in boot up and close no message to copy or see and cant run long enough to get a log. Tried disconnecting all other monitors but 1 no change,

Brand new from Microsoft (Pro version).

@white.a.drew thinking the same thing. But I logged into to my wife's user to ensure her work programs were unaffected, which it wasn't. Then I tried a game which then worked without crashing . Tonight I logged on when she finished work and my User account is still buggered but games run on her User and on a new test user I created. possibly not what I thought was going on, never thought to check on wife's side as it basically is used for remote workstation work. I am guessing I need to reinstall windows as being only 5 to 7 days old I haven't created a restore save point yet.

I spent a couple hours learning how to create a new admin without access to the Admin user, How to delete the old user and how to creating games/programs that can be accessed by all user accounts negating the need to have multiple installs that would waste alot of storage space. So far everything has been stable.

The only place that I could have downloaded anything suspicious was when I installed CPUID, which I followed a link from Asus ROG to find. It tried to install a efficiency program called FAST! or VERY FAST! but I uninstalled that as soon as I saw in install.

Last edited:

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
So I created a new Admin, and separate user deleted the infected user admin, reinstalled all the game, on the admin, then spent 2 days trying to sort out how to allow users to access games installed on the admin. everything is fine and boom the same game crashed the system again, this time the monitors turn on turn off turn on turn off. restarted the CPU manually and it seems to be fine again continuing to watch what is going on. Game is warframe and it is from 2013 so shouldnt be that aggressive

I just saw this.

Are you using another Corsair Model PSU cables or is that cable replacement that are white and are compatible with the HX850i or cable extension?

You have to use cables from the PSU you use. Not from another model. You can damage you hardware if you do because the connectors layout is not the same at the PSU side.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

JA50N

Honorable
May 8, 2014
I am using the type 3 or gen 3 cables appropriate for the PSU i got, I ordered new cable pack for my CPU and contacted Corsair to ensure I picked the right one off of their accessory list just to be sure. the 24pin cable should actually arrive tomorrow directly from Corsair itself, as the Corsair kit I got didnt have a 24 pin in it.