Question Issue with gmail after factory reset display different devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2021
After factory resetting my pc I'm still having issues with my gmail accounts. Under security > Your Devices > First sign-in will show a date that was weeks ago. Also Under BROWSERS YOU’RE SIGNED IN ON it will show chrome despite using microsoft edge to sign on to my gmail account. I'm only signed on to gmail account using this device and microsoft edge, why would it say I'm using chrome? Multiple gmail accounts have this issue, there was a new account that I signed in on that at first display Edge but the next day it changed to chrome. I don't understand how factory reset won't allow gmail to detect a new device and detects a "previous" device + chrome issue. I'm worried that there is a rootkit or firmware virus that is running in the background that allows remote access to my accounts. I want to mention I been having a lot of security issues and having phones hacked into which gives me an impression that this is no ordinary infection and factory resetting many times isn't working.

https://ibb.co/wwr5MkF - Shows chrome + edge despite being on edge

https://ibb.co/3BmXL98 - as you can see it says I'm using chrome but I'm literally on edge with no chrome installation

https://ibb.co/m6y8Mg4 - Also says chrome. I'm using the same laptop after a factory reset but the "First sign in dates" of the gmail accounts are completely off from one another. I have signed into the gmail accounts many months before but the dates display are different.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021
once you've signed into your Google account all of the user information is connected.
doing a factory reset of your OS has nothing to do with what information Google has stored or is showing.
I was under the impression that factory restting the os will allow Google to detect a new device. Why are there inconsistency's of the dates of the device? After a new reset, some gmail accounts will show Windows device from 3 weeks ago, some will say device was from a week ago.

USAFRet

Titan
So you're saying once I sign on to gmail through microsoft edge, it will automatically detect as Chrome?
It will detect is as a browser and system you previously used.

When I sign on to a newly created gmail account, it would display Edge as the browser but my old accounts will show chrome/edge (no chrome installed in pc).
Unknown. But, the same browser is the same browser.
Connecting from a different system and the same browser...Chrome or Edge...will be seen as a different system. And you'd need to verify that system and logon as being you.

Jul 8, 2021
It will detect is as a browser and system you previously used.

The previous browser I used was edge for many weeks now, I don't understand why it would detect chrome as the browser I previously used.

Unknown. But, the same browser is the same browser.
Connecting from a different system and the same browser...Chrome or Edge...will be seen as a different system. And you'd need to verify that system and logon as being you.

I'm not using a different system, using the same laptop that I factory resetted,
Also sometimes when I factory reset my device it will say "new device" and there will be an "old" windows device that I can sign out from. Why does it say new device + old device, or sometimes it will only show the old device, despite using the same factory reset method on the same laptop. (also says chrome +edge or chrome )

Thanks for the replies. Google community has no help at all.
Similar thread on google no replies ..
Browsers you're signed in on. Please help! - Google Account Community

Ralston18

Titan
I would be more inclined to think/believe that you are more likely the victim of some update, upgrades, and hidden configuration changes that are all too common.

Any software additions and updates are very likely to try including more stuff (bloatware) or otherwise make changes you do not want. Generally such changes are not for your benefit....

In other words, you do one thing or make a single change of some sort and in the background other things occur as well.

You may or may not be "informed" of those changes - perhaps to default setting that is automatic in nature.

Or a click that you agreeing to "X" but the fine print (somewhere) includes "Y" and "Z".

And some changes to do not get implemented until after a full boot or restart.

Plus so much software is "rushed" into production that there are bugs, glitches, and incompatibilities that occur making behavior unpredictable. Sort of "we will fix problems later depending on complaints".

Change your passwords, pins, authentications, etc.. Make if difficult for anyone else to access, monitor, and change your system.

However; again I believe that it is highly unlikely that those changes are because of someone else "monitoring" your pc.

Jul 8, 2021
I would be more inclined to think/believe that you are more likely the victim of some update, upgrades, and hidden configuration changes that are all too common.

Any software additions and updates are very likely to try including more stuff (bloatware) or otherwise make changes you do not want. Generally such changes are not for your benefit....

In other words, you do one thing or make a single change of some sort and in the background other things occur as well.

You may or may not be "informed" of those changes - perhaps to default setting that is automatic in nature.

Or a click that you agreeing to "X" but the fine print (somewhere) includes "Y" and "Z".

And some changes to do not get implemented until after a full boot or restart.

Plus so much software is "rushed" into production that there are bugs, glitches, and incompatibilities that occur making behavior unpredictable. Sort of "we will fix problems later depending on complaints".

Change your passwords, pins, authentications, etc.. Make if difficult for anyone else to access, monitor, and change your system.

However; again I believe that it is highly unlikely that those changes are because of someone else "monitoring" your pc.

Very puzzling to see the Google recognizing a "device" from many weeks back while certain accounts will have different devices or be set as a new device all along with the browser issue. I been experiencing issues with hackers changing my some of my security features on my emails such as changing my recovery number and doing little things such as that to annoy me as well as hacking into my phone. I guess the best option is just get new devices and take stronger security measures.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I guess the best option is just get new devices and take stronger security measures. "

That may be so: however, without really knowing or understanding the root problem(s) you may find yourself in the same situation.

= = = =

What devices from many weeks back and what different devices are being set up?

What specific email security features are being changed?

And do not confuse attempted "hacks" with actual penetrations into your devices.

There are always ongoing attacks: blocked attacks are failed attacks.

As for possibly being stalked and/or harassed then you should seek legal advice.

Jul 8, 2021
This:

"I guess the best option is just get new devices and take stronger security measures. "

That may be so: however, without really knowing or understanding the root problem(s) you may find yourself in the same situation.

= = = =

What devices from many weeks back and what different devices are being set up?

What specific email security features are being changed?

And do not confuse attempted "hacks" with actual penetrations into your devices.

There are always ongoing attacks: blocked attacks are failed attacks.

As for possibly being stalked and/or harassed then you should seek legal advice.

Each time I'm using the same laptop to sign in. Its just that before when I sign in after performing a factory reset gmail would indicate I'm logging in through a "new device". But now when I perform a factory reset it would say I'm signing in through an "old device" because it says "last login date as something like June 15 or May 31st never would it say the present date anymore.

When I would sign into gmail accounts on phones they would register correctly as a new device each time I factory reset as well as having the correct browser registered.

I had issues with my android phone and even new iphones where the camera and microphone light would turn on at random times when the phone was completely idle. For my android phone there was times where my phone would load into the boot screen and have all sorts codes of line running through which I have never experience before. Never once did I enter the boot menu screen and seen such process. At the time I had my 2fa through phone number which is possible of how they were able to get into my gmail account. I also started receiving more spam text messages especially from xerere@blahblah.com type contacts which I never got before, usually spam text would be from numbers but now they are coming from sites and the text link that was sent would automatically convert to a multimedia process when I open it.

The security features that were added to my gmail account were new recovery phone numbers, somehow they were able to use my other gmail accounts to create google voice numbers and then they registered those google voice numbers as recovery phone numbers on a different gmail account. There would be no email records at all of the creation of the number or the registration of the recovery number. I had a gmail account under "signing in to other sites" it was registered for quick login to an ip address something like https//;134.43.2333 (these are random numbers) not sure what this was but I'm definitely not the person to register my email to some ip address like this.

I also had issues with my twitter account being signed into (no 2fa) and they could delete things like my blocklist but twitter would have no record of a new device or ip logging into my account. Which tells me they were likely using my pc or a clone idk to perform this action.

I use telegram so maybe there is a vulnerability there? I believe they were doing something with my phone maybe with malware infected text messages and at the time my router wasn't fully secured so it's possible that they infected my laptop with something really nasty that replacement is the only option. I have switched to a watchguard router but I think my laptop needs to be replaced. Each time I factory reset my laptop and connect to the internet there would a brief flash of black screens where my screen display would be resized and flashed and then back to normal. Not sure what that is about maybe I can obtain a log report of what happens after resetting and connecting to the internet?

Yes but difficult to present my case unless I have hard evidence which nearly impossible with the computer and phones.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "there would a brief flash of black screens where my screen display would be resized and flashed and then back to normal. "

What all is being launched at startup? Check via Task Manager > Startup.

The behavior suggests that some app is being launched with incompatible screen settings and the failure just reverts to default settings.

Also:

"infected my laptop with something really nasty that replacement is the only option. I have switched to a watchguard router but I think my laptop needs to be replaced. "

Laptop replacement - not yet.

Clean OS install first.

Reference:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Give no one any account names, passwords, or physical access to the laptop.

Make only the very basic and necessary changes to access just one account: email. Then later add perhaps twitter and immediately change passwords.

Determine if the problems continue.

= = = =

"Yes but difficult to present my case unless I have hard evidence which nearly impossible with the computer and phones."

Why is that?

Take some screenshots. before & after....

Make a change yourself, be sure to save the change, screenshot it, and print.

Later if the change is again changed or otherwise "undone" likewise screenshot and print. Document dates and times.

You may discover some pattern or other details that may help reveal what is happening.

Beyond the above (clean install and screenshots for comparison) I am not sure what else to suggest.

Jul 8, 2021
I would like to add that I had 5 cmd windows flashed upon start up today.

I have used the factory reset method many times through flash drive and same issue (with gmail browser/device registration). The thing is the flash only happens after connecting pc to the internet (the first time).

Startup:
cortona, microsoft one drive, radeon software startup task, realtekhd audio universal, skype, soptify and windows security notification

some random minor issues with a couple devices over a unknown period of time + extreme paranoia?
Definitely not paranoia as the gmail account had a new recovery phone #'s added as well as the quick sign in to a random https//;134.43.2333 ip address which was 100% not my doing.

Jul 8, 2021
Clean OS install.
Didn't work.

I used a new desktop and I'm seeing the same issue. At first everything was running correctly, account display "edge" but the next day it switch back to "chrome". There was a moment that it said Edge but after checking again it all switched to chrome only. No issues with "new device" says I'm using the same device but the browser's are incorrect. There is definitely a serious issue with my device, over the weekend I looked up an address and the a hour later I see my stalkers strolling around in the same location. They live miles away from the location and they just there waiting for my arrival. The desktop is new but there is a possibility that I had inserted compromised usb drives/smart phones on it before. Maybe they had tweaked the firmware of my router. Also experience the same startup issue with my desktop, after connecting my desktop the internet immediately the screen display will flash and minimize resolution and my speakers would disconnect and reconnect just like how my laptop would behave when connecting to the internet the first time. Any recommendations for a remote service that can help figure out what is going on?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"over the weekend I looked up an address and the a hour later I see my stalkers strolling around in the same location. They live miles away from the location and they just there waiting for my arrival. "

Stalkers and stalking are serious matters. The problem(s) are beyond IT and, in my opinion, beyond the scope of this Forum.

You need to contact law enforcement or otherwise obtain legal and other assistance to resolve the problems you are having.

Especially if you know who the stalkers are. Your stating "They live miles away from the location" indicates that you know who the stalkers are.

Therefore I am doing two things:

1) Recommending that you contact the applicable legal authorities.

2) Closing this thread as the issues are beyond computers, hacking, IT, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.