Issue with graphic card (and gaming) after system shutdown/crash

ranjan.raajit

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I was playing Andromeda and my laptop screen was set to turn off after one minute. A cutscene appeared and the screen turned off. When I moved the mouse a blank screen appeared and the system hanged. I restarted my HP Pavilion laptop after waiting for one hour. It booted alright but seems slow now. And the games like GTA5 or MW3 that would run properly otherwise are now getting stuck. My laptop specifications are as follows :-

HP Pavilion 15-AU620TX
Intel i5- 7200 2.50GHz
RAM - 8 GB
Windows 10 64 bit OS
NVidia GTX 940 MX

Will reinstalling the graphics card drivers be helpful? Or should I go for system recovery? When I play games NOW I hear my laptop making some sounds like background processors running (reminding me of old desktop). Can a virus be responsible for this?

Check to make sure the system is clean, fans are clean, re-doing the heatsinks with new thermal paste is a good idea. System could be overheating, could be a video card failing. A virus can cause slowdowns but you can check that with a virus scan, better to run the scan than just ask about it, you don't want to just sit there waiting while the virus works it's damage.

ranjan.raajit

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I don't think there is a virus anymore coz I checked with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Skyrim worked fine today but its low end. I will try MW3 and finally Andromeda to see if the issue is solved. I reinstalled the drivers.