Issue with graphic card

Oct 21, 2018
Hey guys, lately i've been having major issues with my gpu(presumably). I haven't been using my PC in a couple of months and then a few days ago I decided to turn it on and none of my displays worked(I have a TV as main display and a monitor as secondary). I managed to start the PC in safe mode where both of my displays worked and did a system restore to just before I stopped using my pc, and everything worked fine for a few hours, but then at random times while gaming both displays would suddenly go black, with pc still being on(this was yesterday). After a couple of restarts I gave up and went to sleep. When I tried to turn the pc on today, both displays work until windows 7 welcome logo, then they both go blank. I then have to restart the pc, run startup repair where both displays work, and after the startup repair is done the pc turns on with only secondary display working(the monitor). And it's like that until I have to restart the PC to apply updates.

So, the procedure when restarting the pc is as follows: Turn it on, both displays work until windows 7 logo, then they both go blank, restart the pc, run the startup repair which is shown on both displays, but when startup repair is done and I get to desktop, only the secondary display works, and all updates/drivers I installed previously are gone.

Things I tried:
-taking out graphics card and thoroughly cleaning it
-running malware bytes scan and deleting all the threats it identified
-make sure Link State Power Management is set to off
-deleted graphic card drivers, but am now unable to install them because when I restart the pc to finalize the driver installation, as per usual screen goes black after the windows 7 logo which forces me to restart it and run a startup repair to get the pc working, which for some reason deletes the drivers

System specs:
GPU- AMD radeon r9 270
CPU-intel core i5-2500K 3.30 GHz
8gb RAM
windows 7 64 bit

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Sounds like a driver issue. I had a bad driver issue recently out of the blue and the most efficient way to solve it was a full windows 10 reinstallation.

If it was hardware related, the issue (if any) would present itself immediately.

Backup your stuff, follow a guide to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB and get the latest drivers for your stuff.

Good luck

Oct 21, 2018

I'll do that tomorrow. Will report back.
Thanks!

Oct 21, 2018
Sorry for the late reply, been real busy lately.

I tried doing a reinstall of windows 10 and as per usual it was working well until i installed graphics drivers. Same thing continued to happen then, black screen on both monitors after windows 10 logo. I then did a full pc reset. Formatted both HDD disks, but that didn't fix the issue either. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2018
Hey, brother of OP here, necroing thread in hope of getting some kind of solution for this. So I decided to take a look at that PC and hopefully, repair it. To say in advance, I'm not computer expert, but I can google stuff :D. So, after a couple months of inactivity, I decided to turn on that PC again. I'm copying the specs from the first post:

GPU- AMD radeon r9 270
CPU-intel core i5-2500K 3.30 GHz
8gb RAM
+ MB: GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 1.0)

So, I turned on the PC, getting to windows 10 logo with circles under it and then screen goes black (but not totally black as in turned off, but a lighter black). First weird thing I noticed (which I ignored) was the fact that after the POST display, there was another POST display saying something like: this program can only support HDD and CD-ROM (or something like that, which I guess referred to BIOS). Then I decided to try and reinstall Windows 10 again, using the installation on USB. I did a clean install, formatting the HDD completely. After a successful installation of Windows 10, I plugged in wireless antenna and set the windows update to start downloading updates. After some time, while the updates were still downloading, screen goes black again. I tried to restart, but can't get past windows logo again.

After doing some googling, I thought BIOS might be the issue here, especially when I remembered the second POST screen. So I went into BIOS and did the logical first step: loading the optimized settings. After doing that, PC restarts and, unlike before, I'm getting motherboard splash screen and after that, black screen again, I don't even get to POST. I tried resetting BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery, but no luck. Then I took out GPU, RAM and unplugged and replugged most of connections on motherboard, as well as CMOS battery. After turning on the PC again, I was once again able to get POST screens and get to the windows logo, at which point the screen goes black again. So I figured it might have something to do with BIOS, so I decided to flash it. I downloaded the newest version from the manufacturer's webpage and successfully flashed it. Turning on the PC again after flashing it, I once again receive the motherboard splash screen, after which the PC restarts again and I get the POST screen and can again get to the windows logo screen, after which I once again get the black screen. Also, after successfully flashing the BIOS, I no longer get the second POST-like screen saying that "this program can only be used with HDD or CD-ROM" or something like that.

Believing the issue was resolved, I decided to once again do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. After successfully doing that, I can reach desktop, I plug in the wireless antenna again, set the windows to update and after some time, screen goes black again. As far as I can see, screen is going black while the updates are still downloading, so nothing is installed yet, which might be a source of issues. I restart the PC again, get into BIOS and decide to load the optimized settings (as I didn't do that after flashing the BIOS), hoping this might solve the issues. After doing that and PC restart, now I'm once again getting the motherboard splash screen, after which the screen goes black again.

I really don't know what to do next, so, any ideas? I was thinking of doing the CMOS reset again, but after that, what should I do next?