Issue with GTX 1070 and Power Supply

drpickles

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
I recently bought a new EVGA GTX 1070 FTW. I've been having a lot of issues with it regarding my power supply; I have a silencer mk III 600W. The graphics card requires two 8 pin connections, when I plug in one of them, everything starts fine and I get the "please connect PCIe to this graphics card and power down" error. However, when I plug in the second connection, nothing will start at all, don't even get a fan spin, and when I unplug the second connection, it won't start again for a while even with the single connection as if there's some kind of cool down phase. One of the connections is a modular cable from the power supply. I am using this cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A45JA52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because it was the only one I could find that satisfied the 8pin to 8 pin connection and I couldn't find the one that came with the power supply. When this aftermarket cable is the only one that is plugged in to the gpu I get the same problem of nothing starting, making me think it may be an issue with the cable. Does anyone have any ideas why this cable would not be working or if there may be some other issue or have any suggestions of how to fix it? From what I have read, my psu should work fine with this card but I am having lots of issues.

Solution
Modular cables usually do not work with other brands and can be really bad for your PSU. I don't know if you can get a replacement due to PC Power and cooling but they are now owned by Firepower, so you may have to get in touch with them.

chizrah

Respectable
Jun 25, 2016
Modular cables usually do not work with other brands and can be really bad for your PSU. I don't know if you can get a replacement due to PC Power and cooling but they are now owned by Firepower, so you may have to get in touch with them.

Solution

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

different companies wire things differently

using a random cord is asking for trouble

contact the manufacturer for a proper cable