[SOLVED] Issue with hard drive speeds

Apr 6, 2019
Hello! I've been having storage issues recently, to the point where I got a new hard drive. I'm currently using a FireCuda 2TB drive, and my older drive was an HGST 2TB drive. I had some horrible issues with the HGST, so I got the FireCuda. After transferring my data to the FiraCuda and doing benchmarks, I'm having the same issues with the new drive. The old drive is now working perfectly when used as a secondary drive (the well performing drive in the benchmark). Any tips on what I should do? By the way, I moved around my SATA data ports thinking it might have been an issue with that. Thank you!
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24386355

Solution
I've got 450 gigs of storage and the OS on the 1st drive, the FireCuda. The second drive is nearly empty.

Boot from something else that has a benchmark like Crystaldiskmark built in, You can't benchmark your boot drive because windows and other apps are always using it.

I'd put money on this being a software issue, something you got setup or running, causing this since you have the same issue with the Hitachi which is now fine since it's no longer the boot drive.
Few questions.

1. Why did you buy a HDD to replace your existing one instead of a SSD? SSD would blow both away.
  2. How full are the two drives? Reason I ask is because when full and as an OS drive a primary drive will not perform as well as a secondary drive that has near nothing on it.

Being the OS drive the FireCuda would still have to allocate tasks and HDD bandwidth while being benchmarked and if its closer to full it will also lower performance as a HDD will fill up from the best performing part of the disk to the least performing part.

Apr 6, 2019
Hello! I got the FireCuda because I'm in a bit of a tight financial situation and needed the extra cash for bills. I also really needed the storage, and shelling out hundreds of dollars for 2 terabytes of SSD storage was unviable. Secondly, I've got 450 gigs of storage and the OS on the 1st drive, the FireCuda. The second drive is nearly empty.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. userbenchmark is a poor tool to use
  2. What results were you expecting? That tool is biased against the OS drive, and especially an HDD as the OS drive.

Use an actual drive tool like CrystalBenchMark, and see if that reports any 'issues'.
I'm betting it won't.

popatim

Titan
I've got 450 gigs of storage and the OS on the 1st drive, the FireCuda. The second drive is nearly empty.

Boot from something else that has a benchmark like Crystaldiskmark built in, You can't benchmark your boot drive because windows and other apps are always using it.

I'd put money on this being a software issue, something you got setup or running, causing this since you have the same issue with the Hitachi which is now fine since it's no longer the boot drive.

Solution